WD idle time change on second ata drive

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

numbercruncher

WD idle time change on second ata drive

#1 Post by numbercruncher » Mon May 31, 2010 6:55 am

I have a laptop with two WD drives: /dev/sda with vista and /dev/sdb with fedora 11.
I have an exe to change idle time of WD harddrive in ubcd. I have added this exe in custom.. booted to freedos and ran this exe which executes for the /dev/sda (vista) drive. ( I know it is /dev/sda because the exe prints out the serial no)

How do I get this exe to be executed for the second drive /dev/sdb(f11)?
I see that ldir -s/dev/sdb can print my fedora directory. any ideas?

Thanks

StopSpazzing

Re: WD idle time change on second ata drive

#2 Post by StopSpazzing » Mon May 31, 2010 1:20 pm

numbercruncher wrote:I have a laptop with two WD drives: /dev/sda with vista and /dev/sdb with fedora 11.
I have an exe to change idle time of WD harddrive in ubcd. I have added this exe in custom.. booted to freedos and ran this exe which executes for the /dev/sda (vista) drive. ( I know it is /dev/sda because the exe prints out the serial no)

How do I get this exe to be executed for the second drive /dev/sdb(f11)?
I see that ldir -s/dev/sdb can print my fedora directory. any ideas?

Thanks
If its not dependent on the second drive even being attached, unplug the first drive or change the boot order (serial ata [SATA] allows you to choose which drive is primary/secondary, if your drives arent SATA wont be able to change the primary/secondary and would be easier to remove the first drive) in bios and run it again.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

numbercruncher

#3 Post by numbercruncher » Mon May 31, 2010 9:18 pm

Yes it is SATA Tried changing the boot sequence of the drives in bios. Then I figured that the exe prints only the first drive info but does change the values on both the drives.
But I need different values for each drive. So the inevitable opening of the back of the laptop is my only option. Thanks for the quick response

StopSpazzing

#4 Post by StopSpazzing » Mon May 31, 2010 9:25 pm

You're very welcome. Wish they made it selectable and not just assume both drives should get the same values. You may want to request WD to change it.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.