grub2 loopback iso support

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

digitalsushi

grub2 loopback iso support

#1 Post by digitalsushi » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:44 am

Heya folks,

I keep seeing posts that claim UBCD supports the grub2 loopback iso feature, i.e. the iso is simply on the hard disk's file system, and it boots out of the iso directly. I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to do this. Is it actually true that UBCD supports this feature?

I have a pile of live cd iso images that I am booting, and would like to throw UBCD into the list.

thanks!

Icecube

Re: grub2 loopback iso support

#2 Post by Icecube » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:31 pm

It is never stated that UBCD supports the grub2 loopback iso feature.
UBCD supports grub4dos and MEMDISK iso booting (uses INT13h for accessing the iso). The grub2 loopback device works different. It can only read some files inside the iso and boot them. This is only useful for linux ISO's, where you can read the kernel and initrd from the iso image and boot it.

MEMDISK and grub4dos can be booted from grub2

Code: Select all

menuentry "UBCD with MEMDISK" {
	linux16 /memdisk iso raw
	initrd /ubcd502.iso
}
menuentry "UBCD with grub4dos" {
	linux16 /grub.exe --config-file="map (rd) (hd32); map --hook; root (hd32); chainloader (hd32);"
	initrd /ubcd502.iso
}
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

balanga

Re: grub2 loopback iso support

#3 Post by balanga » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:19 pm

Icecube wrote:It is never stated that UBCD supports the grub2 loopback iso feature.
UBCD supports grub4dos and MEMDISK iso booting (uses INT13h for accessing the iso). The grub2 loopback device works different. It can only read some files inside the iso and boot them. This is only useful for linux ISO's, where you can read the kernel and initrd from the iso image and boot it.

MEMDISK and grub4dos can be booted from grub2

menuentry "UBCD with MEMDISK" {
	linux16 /memdisk iso raw
	initrd /ubcd502.iso
}
menuentry "UBCD with grub4dos" {
	linux16 /grub.exe --config-file="map (rd) (hd32); map --hook; root (hd32); chainloader (hd32);"
	initrd /ubcd502.iso
}
I know it's an old post, but I've only just started using grub and I would like try getting it to boot UBCD...

Does the above code with the latest version of UBCD? I tried it with v5.3.6 but get the following error:-

Booting a command list

error:  couldn't find suitable memory target.

Press any key to continue...
MEMDISK 6.03 2014-10-06  Copyright 2001-2014 H. Peter Anvin et al
MEMDISK: No ramdisk image specified!

And then the process halts.

It does work with v4.1.1

BTW in the above code, it shows '/memdisk' and '/ubcd502.iso' . what is the location of the files? How does grub find 'memdisk'?