Can ubcd help me fix my computer?

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

fb119

Can ubcd help me fix my computer?

#1 Post by fb119 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:09 am

Hi everyone,

Im kind of desperate for some help here and not sure if this is a tool that can help me. I am not computer savy at all, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the problem:

My home computer, which is running xp, goes to the blue error screen when trying to start up, right after the xp logo. It goes to this blue screen in any mode I try to run. I have no idea what to do. I would like to save the files, I dont have a xp recovery disk. About the only thing I can do is get it to go to bios but I dont really know what to do from there to fix it.

Does ubdc have anything that might help me?

Thank you!

flyingsilverfin

Re: Can ubcd help me fix my computer?

#2 Post by flyingsilverfin » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:55 pm

I'm more an Ubuntu (linux) guy, but I think that parted magic (on UBCD 5) should be able to do the same. Try looking up "photorec", which is part of the "testdisk" package that if i remember correctly is on parted magic. However, if your filesystem is not corrupted, avoid using photorec unless you absolutely need to (its a pain because it loses all the folders and renames everything with numbering, so you have to sort through it by hand and rename them again)

I think the easiest thing would be to burn an ubuntu live cd (download the cd ISO from www.ubuntu.com). It will be like another operating system has been installed (but it really hasnt) on your computer. If the hard drive and filesystem are OK, you should be able to view your files through a file explorer (like windows explorer) and just copy them onto an external hard drive

Sorry i can't help too much. Try asking on ubuntuforums.com, they've helped me out a lot :)