Include TestDisk (for DOS) in FDUBCD?

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Explorer09

Include TestDisk (for DOS) in FDUBCD?

#1 Post by Explorer09 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:26 am

The current version of UBCD (5.2.7) launches TestDisk in Parted Magic, but I thought it will be useful to include this utility also in FDUBCD. How do people think about this?

For PhotoRec, I'm not sure. It's hard to mount partitions in FDUBCD, so including that thing won't be as useful as in Parted Magic (or in another Linux distro).

The TestDisk for DOS package also includes a file type scanning utility called 'fidentify'. It is meant to be shipped with PhotoRec. If PhotoRec isn't useful in FDUBCD, fidentify won't be either.

ady

Re: Include TestDisk (for DOS) in FDUBCD?

#2 Post by ady » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:15 am

Although in my custom UBCD I have a floppy image of the DOS-based version of TestDisk (just as a very last-chance option), I think that including it in UBCD might generate some "false" expectations that it would work (and support options and fs) exactly as the Linux-based version.

A pmagic module containing updated TestDisk and Photorec versions could be added to UBCD. Yet, I think the best path is to find an adequate Linux OS for future versions of UBCD (In the relevant forum topic I mentioned several possible candidates that could even support modules too, in similar ways as pmagic does, but there are no relevant replies yet).

Victor Chew

Re: Include TestDisk (for DOS) in FDUBCD?

#3 Post by Victor Chew » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:51 am

Testdisk is currently included with Parted Magic, under "System Tools".

That's why it is not separately included in UBCD.