Improved antivirus UBCD update scripts for f-prot & clamav

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

milindck

Improved antivirus UBCD update scripts for f-prot & clamav

#1 Post by milindck » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:20 pm

I have improved the antivirus update scripts form UBCD 5.3.0 to download the files only if newer files are available based on the server file timestamp.
antivirus_update_scripts.tgz
Improved antivirus update scripts
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 2626 times
I am not sure where and to whom to submit such updates.

Thanks
milindck
Last edited by milindck on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victor Chew

Re: Improved antivirus UBCD update scripts for f-prot & clam

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi, thanks for sharing your updates!

However, the "clamav.sh" script has already been updated in V5.3.1 to download only if the timestamps on the webpage have changed, which I think is a more efficient way of performing the update since it does not require downloading the .cvd files (and stat-ing them to decide whether to create the .txz package).

The "fprot.sh" script seems to be working OK in its current form, so I am not sure why the changes are required. Could you elaborate?

milindck

Re: Improved antivirus UBCD update scripts for f-prot & clam

#3 Post by milindck » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Eg. The signature file main.cvd is 62MB, daily.cvd is 26MB and antivir.def is 66MB which takes about 1Hr 20 minutes total only to find that script downloads the same file that I had so I would like to avoid downloading the same file repeatedly.

NOTE:
As far as I understand the "wget -N -P <dest_dir> <remote_server_url>" command downloads the file only if the file timestamp on the remote server is newer than the local file timestamp.

But "wget -O <dest_dir>/main.cvd <remote_server_url>" downloads every time and sets the downloaded file time to server file time.

I will see if the UBCD 5.3.1 versions of the scripts have similar improvement like mine.

I have attached the diff/patch files
diff_files.tgz
(1.61 KiB) Downloaded 1811 times