Having issues adding ISOs to UBCD 5

If you have a tutorial or tip related to the UBCD, why not share it with other users here?

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

shurkin18

Having issues adding ISOs to UBCD 5

#1 Post by shurkin18 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:59 am

Hi Everyone!

I am having issues adding Linux System Rescure CD, Ophcrack Vista, Trinity Rescue Kit ISOs to UBCD and it seems like I am doing something wrong for all three as they boot and fail at "half way", while ophcrack boots and is missing tables.

Here is what I got:
Each having issues booting, booting up initially but not completely.
- Linux System Rescure CD boots half way and errors out
- Ophcrack won’t load tables
- Trinity Rescue Kit shows: “TRK not found on CD” error at half way…

There is an ISO file for each utility in the custom folder (Ubcd\custom\) with those files:
Custom.ini
Custom.lst
Custom.cfg

Custom.ini:
[User Defined]

Custom.lst:
#
# Useful resources for UBCD customization:
#
# - http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.ph ... UX_Project
# - http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/customize.html
#

color cyan/black black/light-gray green/black yellow/black

title ..
configfile /ubcd/menus/grub4dos/main.lst

title Your own boot image here\n Your help message goes here.
map --mem /ubcd/custom/boot.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
rootnoverify (fd0)

Custom.cfg:
MENU INCLUDE /ubcd/menus/syslinux/defaults.cfg
UI /boot/syslinux/menu.c32

LABEL -
MENU LABEL ..
COM32 /boot/syslinux/menu.c32
APPEND /ubcd/menus/syslinux/main.cfg

LABEL LNXSYSRES
MENU LABEL Linux-System-Rescure-CD
LINUX /boot/syslinux/memdisk
INITRD /ubcd/custom/Linux-System-Rescure-CD.iso
APPEND iso raw

LABEL OPHCRACK
MENU LABEL Ophcrack-Live-CD
LINUX /boot/syslinux/memdisk
INITRD /ubcd/custom/Ophcrack-Live-CD.iso
APPEND iso raw

LABEL TRNTRES
MENU LABEL Trinity-Rescue-Kit
KERNEL /boot/syslinux/memdisk
INITRD /ubcd/custom/Trinity-Rescue-Kit.iso
APPEND iso raw

Am I missing something? As I think it is not pulling the config files for each ISO and is failing to boot...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ady

Re: Having issues adding ISOs to UBCD 5

#2 Post by ady » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:03 am

I don't know which version of UBCD you are using. I also don't know which version of Syslinux you are using.

Whichever the versions, memdisk requires RAM for the ISO image. If the ISO image you are trying to load is "too big" for the RAM available, it might probably fail.

Another detail might probably be the "raw" parameter you are using in the append line. Why you think you need it?

An alternative method to memdisk, would be to expand each ISO image and use ISOLINUX/SYSLINUX directly. I won't get into the technical details. You might be interested in using auxiliary tools such as YUMI, SARDUCD, LILI, or some of their alternatives under Linux.

JDługosz

#3 Post by JDługosz » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:53 pm

ady wrote: An alternative method to memdisk, would be to expand each ISO image and use ISOLINUX/SYSLINUX directly. I won't get into the technical details. You might be interested in using auxiliary tools such as YUMI, SARDUCD, LILI, or some of their alternatives under Linux.
I'm interested in exactly that. Reading through the documentation, I see how memdisk works and what its limitations are. However, many images of interest are themselves built using ISOLINUX, and it should be easy to merge that in to the single USB thumbdrive.

The one I just looked at, though, uses an old ISOLINUX 3.x from 2011 and the files and directories don't match the current documentation.

I think the help should be expanded to show how to add images by expanding the ISO file and adding a line somewhere. That should be a simple recipe... Although the boot process can be just about anything, it seems that in all cases the MBR 512-byte c16 file does nothing more than load something else and run that. So, knowing which file to nominate on the CONFIG/LABEL/whatever line should do it. Except the loaded thing needs to know what its logical root is, and allow that: maybe ISOLINUX hides that by updating the BIOS first?

In practice, one of several common systems would be used, and the tutorial would aid in identifying which you have and what lines to add.

I'd be happy to help by editing the wiki page and contributing a summary of what worked for me.

The Piney

#4 Post by The Piney » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:23 pm

As I recall your Ophcrack "tables" directory has to be in the root of the boot device. When using Yumi, I actually install the "Notables" version and create a "tables" directory at root and then put the various tables extracted folders in the "tables" directory.