Using UBCD to perform due diligence on newly built computer

If you have a tutorial or tip related to the UBCD, why not share it with other users here?

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

wdockery

Using UBCD to perform due diligence on newly built computer

#1 Post by wdockery » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:37 am

Hello, I have built my first computer using a Biostar NM70I-1037U motherboard, 8 GB RAM, and 4 SATA drives and 1 pre-installed system fan, to be used with FreeNAS as a Network Attached Storage device, and I have seen numerous recommendations to use UBCD to test the hardware: perform a memory test and CPU burn-in. I have burned UBCD onto a thumb drive and have booted the machine with the drive.

Could you give me a little more information on your general recommendation for testing hardware in a newly built system? For instance, would Memtest86+ and CPU Stress Test be an adequate set of tests?

With regard to Memtest86+, how many passes would be good? 12?

With regard to CPU Stress Test, which module(s) should be used? mprime? I am unclear how to decide on the proper parameters and how long to let the test run. I also don't know how to monitor its progress--for instance, monitoring the CPU temperature and knowing what is an acceptable CPU temperature range. I assume you would also want to monitor in real-time the percentage of CPU being used and the amount of RAM being used (you would want to confirm that these values are very high, in order to confirm that the test is stringent, right?), and whether errors are occurring? And does the test generate a log file? If so, where is that saved? Is the test likely to damage the system? If the test is about to damage the system, will it stop itself? Etc.

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks--

Explorer09

Re: Using UBCD to perform due diligence on newly built compu

#2 Post by Explorer09 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:27 pm

You seem to be very new to these stress tools in UBCD. Well, I cannot give you advice on how to test your particular hardware (NAS is new to me), but, because I maintain the CPUstress test image, I can explain you how to use it.

First, know two things:
(1) There are several tools in CPUstress image, each with different purposes. Some tools put stress on CPU, some do on memory, and some do both. But none of them stresses hard drives or network, which are more important than CPU and memory for your NAS.
(2) The image assumes that you have basic knowledge on operating a Unix/Linux terminal. If you don't, reading the instruction on the screen when you boot up the image should help you get started quickly.
  • There are 6 virtual terminals available. You can switch between them by pressing Ctrl+Alt+{F1-F6}.
  • You can monitor your CPU and memory load with the 'top' command. You probably want to run this on the 2nd terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F2).
  • The 'sensors' command can show the temperature (and perhaps voltage) of your monitoring sensors. You may run the command repeatedly on the 3rd terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F3).
  • The first terminal will be for your stress tool (either CPU Burn-in or mprime). These tools should halt if a hardware error occurs during the stress test. I cannot say they won't damage your hardware, but USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
  • Press 'q' or 'Ctrl+C' to terminate programs in CPUstress image.