add ubuntu 10.10 iso to UBCD

If you have a tutorial or tip related to the UBCD, why not share it with other users here?

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

dumble

add ubuntu 10.10 iso to UBCD

#1 Post by dumble » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:18 am

He,

I created a UBCD on my USB-flash drive using this guide
http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com/index.ph ... stallation

Everything works great.

Now I would like to add the Ubuntu Netbook Edition LiveCD:
ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso

How do I do this? (im newbie with this)

msj4u

Re: add ubuntu 10.10 iso to UBCD

#2 Post by msj4u » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:24 am

yeah i also created a backup ultimate boot cd sd card for my eeepc :D

am using ubuntu-netbook edition as well :)

am also looking for a guide to integrate ultimate boot cd with ubuntu-netbook-10.10 :roll:

so that if my hdd os is lost i can boot into sd card ubuntu and set things back :|

msj4u

#3 Post by msj4u » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:59 pm

hmm long time no reply and 71 views
so i guess ubuntu 10.10. cant be integrated or something like that ???

ady

#4 Post by ady » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:34 am

The possibility to integrate UBCD and Ubuntu into 1 UFD (USB Flash Disk) depends on the way you prepare the UFD (filesystem, bootloader, BIOS settings, specific bootable UFD...), more than it depends on UBCD or Ubuntu.

Personally, I don't see the point in using the same UFD for a "regular" OS and for a "maintain/repair/administration" tool, and maybe there is no much actual experience in making such an UFD in this forum. Maybe that's why you didn't receive suggestions here?

I can think about several possibilities, according to your goal.

You could search for more general solutions, like installing "Linux and UBCD" (PartedMagic is included already, and there are other tutorials and similar troubleshooting questions at this UBCD forum and at the UBCD Wiki http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com for other distros) instead of "Ubuntu and UBCD", and from that start point, try to reproduce the general method with a specific Linux distro.

In any case, you should try to use the latest available versions of the tools, not just the versions mentioned in a specific tutorial, except for cases where you find specific suggestions / recommendations for specific "previous" versions.

If you want to try RMPrepUSB as suggested in the tutorial at the UBCD Wiki http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com , you should search for the specific RMPrepUSB forum at boot-land.net. There might be useful tips also at the RMPrepUSB website.

Using RMPrepUSB or any other similar tool, besides the methods you may find at their forums, you could try the complete "ISO" method, which includes several complete ISO images in 1 UFD, and the boot process expands the ISO image each time you boot. There are pros and cons for this method.

Another possibility is to use a "maintain/repair/administration" tool that is based on Ubuntu, as for example Ubuntu Rescue Remix, if this is more close to your actual goal.

Icecube

#5 Post by Icecube » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:03 pm

Open the ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso ISO with 7-zip and extract:

Code: Select all

/casper/vmlinuz
/casper/initrd.lz
and place those files in a subdir /ubuntu in your UFD.
Also place the ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso in /ubuntu.

Syslinux menu: Add the folowing to /ubcd/custom/custom.cfg:

LABEL ubuntu_live
MENU LABEL Try Ubuntu Netbook without installing
LINUX /ubuntu/vmlinuz
INITRD /ubuntu/initrd.lz
APPEND file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-netbook.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu/ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso quiet splash --

LABEL ubuntu_install
MENU LABEL Install Ubuntu Netbook
LINUX /ubuntu/vmlinuz
INITRD /ubuntu/initrd.lz
APPEND file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-netbook.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu/ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso quiet splash --
Grub4dos menu: Add the folowing to /ubcd/custom/custom.lst:

title Try Ubuntu Netbook without installing
kernel /ubuntu/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-netbook.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu/ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso quiet splash --
initrd /ubuntu/initrd.lz

title Install Ubuntu Netbook
kernel /ubuntu/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-netbook.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu/ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso quiet splash --
initrd /ubuntu/initrd.lz
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

msj4u

#6 Post by msj4u » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:25 pm

Icecube wrote:Open the ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso ISO with 7-zip and extract:

/casper/vmlinuz
/casper/initrd.lz
and place those files in a subdir /ubuntu in your UFD.
Also place the ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso in /ubuntu.

Syslinux menu: Add the folowing to /ubcd/custom/custom.cfg:

LABEL ubuntu_live
MENU LABEL Try Ubuntu Netbook without installing
LINUX /ubuntu/vmlinuz
INITRD /ubuntu/initrd.lz
APPEND file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-netbook.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu/ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso quiet splash --

LABEL ubuntu_install
MENU LABEL Install Ubuntu Netbook
LINUX /ubuntu/vmlinuz
INITRD /ubuntu/initrd.lz
APPEND file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-netbook.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu/ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso quiet splash --
Grub4dos menu: Add the folowing to /ubcd/custom/custom.lst:

title Try Ubuntu Netbook without installing
kernel /ubuntu/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-netbook.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu/ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso quiet splash --
initrd /ubuntu/initrd.lz

title Install Ubuntu Netbook
kernel /ubuntu/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu-netbook.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu/ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso quiet splash --
initrd /ubuntu/initrd.lz

yaayyyyyyy that worked :D :D :D :D :D

thanks

so as far as i get

iso-scan/filename
is the parameter of ubuntu kernel

Icecube

#7 Post by Icecube » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:27 am

msj4u wrote:
Icecube wrote:Open the ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso ISO with 7-zip and extract:
so as far as i get

iso-scan/filename
is the parameter of ubuntu kernel
iso-scan/filename= tells Ubuntu to look for the ISO file specified after that parameter, instead of looking for the unpacked ISO. It is not a kernel parameter. The parameter is interpreted by the scripts inside the initramfs.
It is not an universal parameter. Only some distro's use it. Another common used parameter to boot from ISO is fromiso=.
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/