adding Wary Puppy 5.1.3 (puppy linux - long term support)

If you have a tutorial or tip related to the UBCD, why not share it with other users here?

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

unixmonkeyTFTP

adding Wary Puppy 5.1.3 (puppy linux - long term support)

#1 Post by unixmonkeyTFTP » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:44 pm

The link to the iso and the md5sum are here.

(please note: I'm adding this to UBCD installed on a flash drive. I'm using an OS like recent Ubuntu or OS X that allows you to click on an iso and auto-mount it, so I'm glossing over that part. I'll assume you already have UBCD on your flash drive.)

1. Create a new folder called "513wary" on your memory stick (for me in ubuntu, it's /media/UB-USB/ubcd/custom/513wary because the volume on my flash drive is "UB-USB" and ubuntu auto-mounts on /media )

2. Download the iso and stick it in this folder.

3. In your file manager, click on the iso to mount it. Copy the files vmlinuz and initrd.gz and paste them in the same folder that the iso is in.

4. Copy puppy_wary_5.1.3.sfs and paste this in the root of the USB stick (e.g. for me this is /media/UB-USB )

5. Open up (in my case, adjust path as needed) /media/UB-USB/ubcd/custom/custom.cfg and add the following lines to the file at the end, (or wherever you wish if you already have other customizations installed)

Code: Select all

LABEL - Puppy
MENU LABEL Wary 5.1.3 Puppy Linux LTS
LINUX /ubcd/custom/513wary/vmlinuz
INITRD /ubcd/custom/513wary/initrd.gz
APPEND -  

ady

Re: adding Wary Puppy 5.1.3 (puppy linux - long term suppor

#2 Post by ady » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:13 pm

This is *almost* the same as the current wiki tutorial at http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com/index.ph ... uppy_Linux, but in the wiki tutorial it says to cut the *.sfs file, instead of copying it. I don't know which one is correct / better / advisable...

Under Windows, there are (GUI) tools that do the job, but I don't know the exact method each of those tools actually use.

unixmonkeyTFTP

#3 Post by unixmonkeyTFTP » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Yea, I cribbed off the wiki for this one. My step 3 is not on the wiki at all at this point though.

It took forever for my posts to be deemed by the board as "not potential spam", so I assume I don't have rights to edit the wiki. Thus this post here, now.

Most of the tutorials seem to be coming from a MS perspective. Mine's different in that way. My code block is prettier too.

If anyone can explain the different options used for grub4dos, or point me somewhere where those options are explained, I'd appreciate that. While they were listed on the wiki, they were not explained. I have several other tools to add and plenty of room on the USB stick.

unixmonkeyTFTP

#4 Post by unixmonkeyTFTP » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:55 pm

ady wrote:This is *almost* the same as the current wiki tutorial at http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com/index.ph ... uppy_Linux, but in the wiki tutorial it says to cut the *.sfs file, instead of copying it. I don't know which one is correct / better / advisable....
I'm, guessing that between cutting and copying, cutting would save a bit of space and copying would mean that the iso was still intact, and could be copied, burned to CD, seeded on a torrent, md5sum checked to verify integrity, etc.

It's too bad a symbolic link could not be used to save space

ady

#5 Post by ady » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:06 am

First, I want to be clear about something. Please do not hesitate to post here any info you think is useful or interesting, even if it is also in the wiki in some similar way. Although I'm just a normal user as you are, I think this speaks for anyone related to UBCD.
unixmonkeyTFTP wrote:My step 3 is not on the wiki at all at this point though.
unixmonkeyTFTP wrote: I'm, guessing that between cutting and copying, cutting would save a bit of space and copying would mean that the iso was still intact, and could be copied, burned to CD, seeded on a torrent, md5sum checked to verify integrity, etc.
Please read carefully the wiki. According to it, the ISO file is not saved in the UBCD structure, but extracted to it, so actually your step 3 is not needed in the wiki.

Since I haven't tested it myself, I can't really tell you the wiki tutorial is correct or not. If it is, then it should save you a lot of space.
It's too bad a symbolic link could not be used to save space
Well, if I'm not mistaken, a symbolic link depends on the filesystem. Most USB drives used for UBCD are formatted as FAT (or alternatively used from an optical media), so *I think* a symbolic link can't be used.

But if the wiki tutorial actually works, then according to it there is no duplication of files from Puppy anyway.
If anyone can explain the different options used for grub4dos, or point me somewhere where those options are explained, I'd appreciate that. While they were listed on the wiki, they were not explained. I have several other tools to add and plenty of room on the USB stick.
Grub4dos is not something very clearly explained nor documented. That includes the "official" site moving over and over again, and more than one "tree" of developers. There are several tutorials and documents, but many of them or not up-to-date, with so many changes in grub4dos that I'd rather not leave any specific link here. I'd say it is more a "try and error" and building on experiences (from yourself and others).

The forums of each distro usually have some info about the different methods to boot that specific distro, and usually you'll find someone to help you.

As I said, under Windows you will find several different tools that make the job for you.

Personally, I'm more interested in a working booting method, and if it is clear and documented, better yet. So for most simple users, SYSLINUX is enough for booting several distros (yet, it also needs to update the documents), and you also have grub and grub2 (among others).

One popular site about booting methods is reboot.pro, but it is not the only one.

Grundy68

#6 Post by Grundy68 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:47 pm

Just wanted to elaborate on this tutorial for Tahr Puppy 6.0 CE PAE
-------------------------------------------------------------

You follow all the same instructions given here, EXCEPT, you put PUPPY_TA.SFS in the root and then rename it to "puppy_tahr_6.0.sfs", w/o quotes.