Please help me use UBCD to fix computer!

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

floridasun8

Please help me use UBCD to fix computer!

#1 Post by floridasun8 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:08 pm

If anyone can help me fix my daughters computer, please let me know. Due to some OS problems, viruses, etc. I decided to erase all and re-install OS from scratch. I created the boot CD with a program also on it called hdderase.exe but I cant figure out how to get to it.
I boot up the computer from the cd and get the main UBCD menu but I dont know where to go from there. The instructions for hdderase.exe just say to type hdderase.exe from the DOS prompt, but I first need to get through the UBCD menu to get to any prompt. I've tried a few different menu options and it either sends me to an A: or Q: prompt, neither of which will recognize the hdderase.exe command. I have confirmed that the .exe is on the cd. Can anyone please tell me how to run this program from the UBCD menu? Or, since I have yet to even use this hdderase.exe will this do the job for me (erasing everything, including the OS) or is there another program that someone would recommend? Please advise. Thank you.

bddarnell

#2 Post by bddarnell » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:07 pm

Darik's Boot and Nuke is a mighty fine program. Try that one, it should be on the Ultimate Boot CD.

The Piney

#3 Post by The Piney » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:45 pm

Yes is in there.. Only thing is if you have multiple hard drives/partitions be careful that you don't select any autonuke features. I don't think they are set by default in UBCD but if you do have multiple drives/partitions and that is set you will lose everything.. Kof9 recently posted an alternate string that will set the default to go to the main program window giving you a chance to select what you want to do.. I would look and see what my config file shows, but I've done quite a bit of editing and I'm no longer sure of what has been changed and what hasn't... I just looked at an old copy of UBCD and the menu cfg string looks ok.. It's under hard drive - wiping tools....

jtbjustin

HDDErase

#4 Post by jtbjustin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:33 pm

If anyone reads this thread and still wants to know how to use HDDErase, I posted a new topic here: viewtopic.php?p=4199#4199