Installing Windows on new PC Sata hard drive-cant get tc c:/

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

stephenc

Installing Windows on new PC Sata hard drive-cant get tc c:/

#1 Post by stephenc » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:03 pm

My son has just bought a new PC with a Sata hard drive. When I start it, an error message says press any key to boot, but this keeps repeating. I've gone into the Bios and changed the boot drive to a Windows CD but it does not run it, neither will it go to the C:/ prompt

I'm wondering do I need to format the drive first and if so how when I can't get it to the C:/ prompt? I've downloaded and run ultimate boot cd but cannot get anywhere with this

Advice appreciated, Stephen

BilgeRat

My son has just bought a new PC with a Sata hard drive

#2 Post by BilgeRat » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:49 am

We need to know more about your system. What kind of CDROM are you using? IDE or is it SATA also? Is this a Brand name computer or DO-it-Yourself "special"? (My post about my DIY is below yours in the forum -"How do u boot from SATA CDrom with a Sata HD with no IDE?"). Also, the C:\ is old DOS. What do you see on the screen when you boot? What's the last thing you see?

Do you have another computer? You may need to make a Driver disk on a floppy. (Windows needs this) The CD with the Drivers for the new computer should have a folder under drivers for making a driver disk. In fact, if you place the CD into the CDROM of your other computer, making the driver disk may appear on the menu.

I had to pull the ide CDROM out of my son's computer to get Windows to install on the SATA HD with a SATA driver disk in the floppy. Does the new computer have a floppy drive? If not, you will need that from the other computer as well.

How old is your son?

Yours

Bilge Rat