To make UBCD, What kind of software should I install?

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

shanike81

To make UBCD, What kind of software should I install?

#1 Post by shanike81 » Wed May 14, 2008 12:14 pm

UBCD is a DOS/Linux based tool. To make UBCD, what kind of program should I install on my computer? CD Shell? After installation software, I want to develop UBCD with our licensed softwares. Your UBCD has many different DOS applications. I want to delete all DOS applications first and then I want to add only our licensed software to UBCD system. How can I do that?

Constance

#2 Post by Constance » Wed May 14, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi there ^^

Start by reading a few topics in the "Tutorials and HowTos" section, that will give you a good overview of the UBCD's working principles.
If you know how to add stuff, you'll see clearly enough how to remove some ;)
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

shanike81

UBCD

#3 Post by shanike81 » Fri May 16, 2008 7:31 am

Thank you for information updated. I went to "Tutorials" on the left panel of UBCD web site. But I could not find the information regarding to make UBCD program with softwares. In "Acknowledgements", it is as follow.
"The Ultimate Boot CD would not have been possible without CDShell, which is in turn dependent on SysLinux and MemDisk."
I wanted to learn how to make UBCD program with our campus licensed small programs. CD Shell program will develop to make UBCD program. But I don't know how I start.....I hope you can give your advice. Thank you in advance.

The Piney

#4 Post by The Piney » Fri May 16, 2008 5:00 pm

A bit more detail would help..

What programs are you wanting to add to UBCD?

If they are not DOS based, are they Linux or Windows programs?

The tutorials are excellent for learning how to add many different programs such as GParted, Dell Diagnostics, Drive Image, etc.

If your wanting to add Windows based programs, UBCD4Win may be a better starting point for you. -> http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Constance

Re: UBCD

#5 Post by Constance » Fri May 16, 2008 11:34 pm

shanike81 wrote:[...] I went to "Tutorials" on the left panel of UBCD web site.[...]
I was refering to this : viewforum.php?f=6 ^^
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

shanike81

UBCD programming

#6 Post by shanike81 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:26 am

I have successfully added Acronis True Image to UBCD as an option and
tested it. It worked great. However, when I tried to add Dell 32-bit
diagnostics, windows memory tester, Windows XP with SP2 (using
campuswide license).

What I'm trying to get at is this -- I'd like to analyze and
understand what softwares that was used to build a library of
softwares that made it as UBCD 4.x. This way, I would be able to use
UBCD as a model to build customized ITS apps to be used for campus
tech work.

Is there some kind of step-by-step or user guide that explains how to
build everything from scratch and what softwares are needed to make
this possible? CDShell and MemDisk, that's it? where would I find
these? Do I have to do it all from within Linux environment? Can it be
done in Windows to build a bootable customized UBCD ?

Any assistance or dierction you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

The Piney

#7 Post by The Piney » Wed May 21, 2008 5:06 pm

This is from another thread/post:
You can do this from a Windows PC, but there may be things that are easier from a Linux system. These should be a good start for getting what you need. You can also check out the Menus that are included with the UBCD to see how those programs are added and just delete the entries for the things you don't need. If your going to add just a few things you could keep some of the open source programs such as memtest. Do a search for Dell Diagnostics and you should find out how to add that, I believe kof94 posted that.

Hope that gets you started well enough...

The Piney

#8 Post by The Piney » Tue May 27, 2008 6:17 am

The way I've added many things is to just use existing menu.cfg files and editing them to fit what I've needed/wanted to add. The Menu and SYSLINUX links are just for additional info.

The memdisk link is for additional info on using memdisk, which is used to make floppy disk IMAGES like dos62.ima, freedos.ima, etc bootable through the menu/syslinux based CD...

Basically if you want to remove programs, just find the image file or DOSAPPS directory and delete these and then remove the menu entries from the CFG files.

-Example - If you want to remove the DOS Navigator, just delete the dosapps/dosnavig directory and then remove the menu entry info from menus/filesys3.cfg:

LABEL dosnavig
MENU LABEL DOS Navigator V6.4.0
KERNEL memdisk
APPEND initrd=/images/dosubcd.igz ubcdcmd=dosnavig

If you use no dosapps that require dosubcd.igz then you could remove that as well, but be careful what you remove because you can cripple the CD if you delete something that is needed by the utilities that you are using.