C: drive access

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

tucana

C: drive access

#1 Post by tucana » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:43 am

Hi - I have read the other threads about C: drive access problems and this difficulty may be related. Anyway, I have a W2k PC with drive 0 split into two partitions, C: (NTFS) and G: (Extended DOS partition, compressed drive in W2k). drive 1 is D: and drive 2 is E:. However, on booting with UBCD (including using [F6][F1] to use the boot floppy option), drive 0 is completely inaccessible in that no drive letters are assigned to it. OTOH, the free Fdisk program finds all the drives, but I see that my G: is known as drive "1:", my D: is "C:" and my E: is "D:". My C: does not seem to have a drive name. So... how can I fix this and get at my C: drive (I can live without access to G: I suppose)?

I recall that on installing W2k in the first place, I had to juggle with the drive letters to get them right. Initially W2k was installing itself on the correct drive but giving it the wrong drive letter: F:, IIRC (F: is actually my CDROM drive letter of choice). In the end I unplugged all the other drives so it had no choice. Sigh. Anyway, cabling inside the PC seems correct: drives 0 and 1 are on the primary IDE socket and cable select is set to off on the drives. TIA. :D

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:46 am

Did you enable NTFS support under FreeDOS? It pops up during the boot process, and you need to select the checkbox to enable NTFS support.

Anyhow, the only reliable way I can access my NTFS partition now is documented here:

viewtopic.php?t=188

Both NTFSDOS and Captive (under INSERT) still do not work for me.

tucana

#3 Post by tucana » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:10 am

Yes, I enabled it, AFAIK... I will have a read of your other info and see what happens. Thanks.