Remove UBCD2USB

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

john101

Remove UBCD2USB

#1 Post by john101 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:00 am

Ok, I used the CMD line to create my UBCD2USB drive. Now I want to remove this and I get a write protect error. This drive does not have a switch to make it write protect. Windows cannot do anything with it and I have tried killdisk with no luck.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

john101

#2 Post by john101 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:29 am

I have also tried fdisk in Ubuntu but get write error when I get to the write new partition. I also tried the HP tool no luck and Apacer tool. Is there an easy way to reset the MBR on the usb flash device?

Thanks in advance

StopSpazzing

#3 Post by StopSpazzing » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:15 pm

john101 wrote:I have also tried fdisk in Ubuntu but get write error when I get to the write new partition. I also tried the HP tool no luck and Apacer tool. Is there an easy way to reset the MBR on the usb flash device?

Thanks in advance

In windows, press windows key + R . In the run dialog box, type "diskmgmt.msc" Select the partition you want to delete and delete it (right click works easiest). Then right click the unallocated space and select new simple disk, follow the steps to format. Make sure you select the right disk, and you will lose any information that you delete and format.

If this does not work, and your usb drive is old or has been used for a while, may be corrupted and you may have to get a new one, as this is one of the symptoms of a faulty usb flash drive.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

The Piney

#4 Post by The Piney » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:29 pm

^ What he said.

Also, you can reset the firmware on some flash drives. I had to do this with my OCZ Rally2 8GB drive. You can try other tools first but if it gets to the point to do the reset, I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer to get the correct download for your flash drive.

john101

#5 Post by john101 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:21 am

I have tried the windows disk manager the right click delete partition is not available and the format fails disk is write protected.

Also tried Windows Diskpart select volume then delete volume gets an error the volume you have selected is not valid.

the flash drive was a 2GB from Microsoft I have only used it twice before and now it seems stuck. If I open it I might get lucky and find an ID to trace it back to a manufacturer.

StopSpazzing

#6 Post by StopSpazzing » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:56 am

john101 wrote:I have tried the windows disk manager the right click delete partition is not available and the format fails disk is write protected.

Also tried Windows Diskpart select volume then delete volume gets an error the volume you have selected is not valid.

the flash drive was a 2GB from Microsoft I have only used it twice before and now it seems stuck. If I open it I might get lucky and find an ID to trace it back to a manufacturer.
Have you tried check disk by any chance?
~Just StopSpazzing~

Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

The Piney

#7 Post by The Piney » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Before you take it apart, you can try using USBDeview from nirsoft to get the info. Even if it doesn't list the manufacturer you may get a Vendor ID that you can Google.

http://www.nirsoft.net/

john101

#8 Post by john101 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:00 am

Tried Chkdsk /r tried the HP tool it said no device found.

Let me try the tool to list the id of this drive and see if I get anywhere.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

: )

StopSpazzing

#9 Post by StopSpazzing » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 am

john101 wrote:Tried Chkdsk /r tried the HP tool it said no device found.

Let me try the tool to list the id of this drive and see if I get anywhere.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

In windows, goto my computer or computer in vista/7. Put the drive in the computer and wait for it to show up on the drive list, when it does, right click on it, select properties. Under the Tools tab, select error checking box "check now" and select all check boxes that are shown.

If your drive does not show up when connected, then your drive it dead, and if you have only used it 2 times you need to get a replacement from where ever you received the product.

Please note, that the sooner you wait to return it the more likely they will refuse refunding you.
~Just StopSpazzing~

john101

#10 Post by john101 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:17 am

I tried the error checking in windows it comes back with the device is write protected.

This was a give away from M.soft when win 7 was released. I have not needed to use it for anything until now.

Got a vendor ID of 058F Product ID 6307... lets see if that turns out to show me anything.

john101

#11 Post by john101 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:29 am

getting the AlcorTools and lets see if this will help me fix this drive.

StopSpazzing

#12 Post by StopSpazzing » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:44 am

john101 wrote:getting the AlcorTools and lets see if this will help me fix this drive.
I guess low level formating would work, curious to know if it worked for you. Good luck.
~Just StopSpazzing~

john101

#13 Post by john101 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:47 pm

Still no luck Alcor gives me a bad block error.

H2testW does not work either, it shows a smaller size 1727 instead of the 2024 and it gives error code 19 write protected.

I think this one is just too far gone...

Doh...

john101

#14 Post by john101 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:50 pm

also the transcend gives an error Flash Size Error...

StopSpazzing

#15 Post by StopSpazzing » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:32 pm

john101 wrote:also the transcend gives an error Flash Size Error...
Yeah, sounds like it's trash. Could contact m$ and see if that gets you anywhere...but don't hold your breath.
~Just StopSpazzing~

john101

#16 Post by john101 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:40 am

I opened the flash up, the main memory chip had a sticker on it in japanese or something with some initials. I scraped that off and under was no name a small gold circle and some numbers on it (H6IAG080J below 0932).

The other side has a small chip usb controller I guess FC8308 A136479-1F 0936H6.

So over all I dont think loading the UDCB usb had anything to do with the demise of the drive just happened to be around the same time.

Thanks again for all the help.