creating a FAT partition in a laptop with WinXP Home (NTFS)

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Raanan

creating a FAT partition in a laptop with WinXP Home (NTFS)

#1 Post by Raanan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:36 am

I have a new IBM R50e Laptop running Windows XP Home ed. with NTFS. Now I need to create another FAT32 partition, and the windows is preinstalled, so I don't want to damage it. Is there any way to resize the NFTS partition? As far as I understand, Partition resizer and Partition manager cannot do this since this is NTFS on XP. Any help will be appreciated.

baronvonfoxbat7734

#2 Post by baronvonfoxbat7734 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:15 am

I don't know anything on the UBCD that can do it or anything free for that matter. Partition Magic I have heard works pretty good for this.

Although I am from the old school thought on Partitions. I believe that the only to adjust them is when you partition the drive using the install disk. This unfortunately won't work for you but is an option if it comes down to it. Any time you resize a partition, you run the risk of corrupting it and not getting the data off. So whatever you do, completely back the entire partition off using like Ghost or something like that to save all the data including partition info.

Actually thinking about it... You MIGHT be able to do it usig the imaging toold on the UBCD to do this... Back the drive up and make an image of it. Then drop the image back to it changing thesize to something smaller. This MIGHT work and I make no garuntees.

Good luck!!

Raanan

thanks a lot, I am working on it...

#3 Post by Raanan » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:30 am

:wink:

Constance

#4 Post by Constance » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:55 pm

You may try GParted, it's some sort of OpenSource Partition Magic Clone based on Linux+Gnome , and there is a LiveCD.

Well be sure to save all your important data before, just in case...
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.