creating a boot sector

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Charvell

creating a boot sector

#1 Post by Charvell » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:29 pm

I understand why my CD doesn't boot. No boot sector. I have the ISO file created using "NTI CD Maker" (creat ISO from files option) however the boot sector is not written as it's supposed to be written (creat ISO from files with bootable CD option checked doesn't work). It just shows the boot cab as a file and not correctly laid out. I used ISOBuster to read the file. It all looks good except it's missing the boot sector. Is there any way to creat a correctly laid out ISO? I just need to get the boot files correctly written. I've updated the UBCD with all the fixes. I've searched but this particular issue is not directly dealt with and I don't want to waste CD's. I want to be able to confirm that there is a boot sector "before" I burn another CD.

Thanks.

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:08 pm

To minimize waste of CDR, try experimenting with CDRW.

Try creating the ISO file using mkisofs. The batch file "mkubcd.bat" in the CD's root directory provide all the necessary command-line parameters.

Charvell

#3 Post by Charvell » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:25 pm

It doesn't work (command prompt within windows). The .bat file is not doing what it's supposed to.

I'm trying to creat an ISO file from the corrected-updated files from the bug fixes section of this site. So far nothing lets me define a boot sector correctly. You'd think there would be an easy to use tool for this that works in windows. Can one edit an ISO file directly?

baronvonfoxbat7734

#4 Post by baronvonfoxbat7734 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:20 pm

Going out of the box... I use UltraISO myself personally and I have found that if you add all the files and then make the disk bootable by pointing it to one of the BIN files inside of the boot folder it works everytime for me. I have not tried the BAT files or anything. Try doing the BIN file in your iso creation software.

Victor Chew

#5 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:49 pm

What error did you get from mkubcd.bat? Did you download mkisofs.exe and put it in your path?

Anyhow, you can point your CDR app to boot\loader.bin as the boot sector if it supports the feature.

Charvell

#6 Post by Charvell » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:35 pm

The error... can't read file types... it was gibberish. I could try to reproduce it if you think it's important...does it make a difference by using a dos window instead of a pure dos boot?

UltraISO worked like a "combine" in a bean field. PERFECT, thanks guys :mrgreen:

{edit} I spoke too soon. Wasted another CD. The CD starts to boot then hangs. I'm about ready to give up... ISO is correct with boot sector written with app reccomended and using file reccomended. PC is set to boot CD ROM first. Something's not quite right...

Victor Chew

#7 Post by Victor Chew » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:38 pm

does it make a difference by using a dos window
You definitely _can_ use a DOS window.