Add Fedora 10 boot image

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

twgitsec

Add Fedora 10 boot image

#1 Post by twgitsec » Fri May 08, 2009 8:51 am

I've got UBCD on my USB stick, and have added several images to the \custom dir that work well. I have been trying to add Fedora 10, but it doesn't appear to have a .img for this. Each one I use from the \images folder gets to "booting kernel", then just sits.

This is to allow running a network install from the USB stick.

I've spent a couple of hours on google, and have found nothing relevant for Fedora10.

Any suggestions?

shamurshamur

Re: Add Fedora 10 boot image

#2 Post by shamurshamur » Sun May 10, 2009 12:04 pm

twgitsec wrote:I've got UBCD on my USB stick, and have added several images to the \custom dir that work well. I have been trying to add Fedora 10, but it doesn't appear to have a .img for this. Each one I use from the \images folder gets to "booting kernel", then just sits.

This is to allow running a network install from the USB stick.

I've spent a couple of hours on google, and have found nothing relevant for Fedora10.

Any suggestions?
you can't add fedora as a image file , what you can do is extract its content on ubcd and add the entry in ubcd menu for fedora.

If you want to know in detail , then ask by mentioning what you have tried till now.

twgitsec

#3 Post by twgitsec » Mon May 11, 2009 3:27 am

I don't want the whole OS, just enough to boot to the network install.

For example, I have various RedHat installs, and for each of these, I have a diskboot.img file, and a pointer in Custom.cfg. These are available to me in the User-defined Tools section, and I boot to the image I want to install, then select FTP as the install method.

I want to do this for Fedora, but if I have to have the whole OS, I'll look for another distro that does have a diskboot image I can use.

shamurshamur

#4 Post by shamurshamur » Mon May 11, 2009 6:13 am

There is a file "boot.iso" of about 127MB for fedora 10.
you can use that to boot.
extract its content in root directory of ubcd and add a entry for it in ubcd.
you can not add it as image cause it is too long for isolinux to boot.....you have to extract its contents.

twgitsec

#5 Post by twgitsec » Thu May 14, 2009 5:49 am

Thanks for the pointer to the boot.iso. I got Fedora 10 to boot to a network install, and only added 20MB to my usbstick.

Here's what I did -

Download and extract Fedora-10-i386-DVD.iso to your website (there wasn't an option in the boot to use FTP, only CD/DVD, NFS, and URL). I created a fedora10 directory in the root of the site.

Browse to images\pxeboot

Copy initrd.img and vmlinuz to UBCDROOT\fedora (create directory)

Add to menus\bootdsk2.cfg
LABEL fedora
MENU LABEL Fedora 10
KERNEL /fedora/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/fedora/initrd.img

I had to add the changes to my ubcd image, then "burn" it back to my usb stick.

Boot to UBCD, select DOS/Linux Boot Disks, then Linux Boot Disks, then Fedora 10. When prompted for the URL, enter http://sitename/fedora10 (or whatever dir you put your extracted files into).

I did have an issue with the video (USB LCD got scrambled) when it first tried to load the GUI part of the install, but when I tried again, it worked.

I ran this twice, with success both times, but if someone else wants to follow these steps and confirm the results, I would greatly appreciate it.