Won't boot DOS programs from USB Mem Stick

Report new bugs here, or look at known issues of current and previous releases of UBCD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Marsha

Won't boot DOS programs from USB Mem Stick

#1 Post by Marsha » Fri May 04, 2007 12:54 pm

I've tried a number, but let's just focus on a couple that fail and a couple that run - the Hitachi Feature Tool boots to the PC DOS message and hangs, the Maxtor Diagnostic boots to the DR DOS message and hangs,
the FreeDOS boots quite a way then gives an illegal op code, Tom's Linus boots just fine.

All of these (and everything else I try) boots just fine from a CD. This is on a new Acer 4270 laptop.

Oddly, the program I was having trouble with last week (ImageDos) boots just fine from both CD and Mem Stick. I also tried putting "raw" into the startup string for the above programs (like feature tool) and it made no difference.

Is this unique to me, or can I help debug the Mem Stick problems, or ???

Thanks
Marsha

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Sat May 05, 2007 4:21 am

The UBCD-on-memory-stick feature is something I couldn't really test due to the lack of an appropriate machine.

I would also love to hear about other's experience with it, and suggestions of changes to make it work on more machines.

McStarfighter

#3 Post by McStarfighter » Sun May 06, 2007 8:09 am

At me it is the same problem. DOS Apps don't boot really and hangs ...

My thoughts atm are: All the DOS Apps are in a own DOS on the floppys. And so it is possible to take ONE FreeDOS and integrate the DOS apps. Additionally it is important to integrate the USB support for DOS (DUSE, the Panasonic Driver, etc.). So it should be possible to fix the problems. And perhaps you save memory because you have ONE DOS for starting and not dozens of that...

EDIT: I just found the problem. SYSLINUX / ISOLINUX has many problems with booting DOS images (not SYSLINUX / ISOLINUX directly, but Memdisk causes the problem).

Victor Chew

#4 Post by Victor Chew » Mon May 07, 2007 5:51 am

I just found the problem. SYSLINUX / ISOLINUX has many problems with booting DOS images (not SYSLINUX / ISOLINUX directly, but Memdisk causes the problem
Do you have a link to the information? Thanks!

McStarfighter

#5 Post by McStarfighter » Sun May 13, 2007 2:12 am

I found the info somewhere on boot-land.net.

Sorry that I can't give you the exact location...