UBCD on WDS!

If you have a tutorial or tip related to the UBCD, why not share it with other users here?

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

NeiroAtOpelCC

UBCD on WDS!

#1 Post by NeiroAtOpelCC » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:41 am

Just thought I'd share my latest idea with you guys. I did a search on the forums for 'wds' and only found two threads about wd's diagnostics program. So I assume it hasn't already been covered.

But since ubcd uses syslinux as menu system it's relatively easy to make it work via pxe - using a wds server in my case.

Below's the link to a thread where I briefly explained how it's done. Quite simple really. A lot more so than installing a linux from a private ftp appearently.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/pag ... _34_0.html

NeiroAtOpelCC

#2 Post by NeiroAtOpelCC » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:58 am

I did try booting a windows 98 I ported from vmware, but that didn't work.
But I suppose it could be possible to use memdisk to boot a tiny version of windows or linux directly. But essentially I'd think you'd be better off starting a terminal server client directly off of pxe booting instead of a standalone windows. I haven't tried booting a bartpe item over pxe though, but you can try with memdisk if you want - but you'll probably need at least 2gb memory to pull it off.

ps. u can gzip the iso image so you don't have to transfer the complete 600mb data every time.