UBCD V5.2.0 available for download

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

The Piney

Re: UBCD V5.2.0 available for download

#2 Post by The Piney » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:34 pm

FUSA is directing to ubcd503.iso. I just opened the link in a new tab and changed the 503 to 520. I had tried a couple times to dlownload the Alphas/Betas but could not get a complete ISO, usually download was stopping after 50-100MB.

OK, FUSA was a slow download (75-200KB/S) so moved to AusGamers (1+MB/S) and download complete and passed MD5 check.

Thanks for all the time and effort to put out another updated release.

Don Manuel

#3 Post by Don Manuel » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:56 am

2Mb/sec (16mbit!) from Crete, that's a great mirror!

And congratulations to you Victor! After a few minutes of download I could yet test a little in qemu-KVM and it looks great on first sight.

ady

#4 Post by ady » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:43 pm

In UBCD 5.2, ubcd/custom/custom.lst, the lines:
COM32 /boot/syslinux/menu.c32
APPEND /ubcd/menus/syslinux/main.cfg
should be replaced by the following (one) line:
configfile /ubcd/menus/grub4dos/main.lst

as it used to be in previous (beta) releases.

Maybe something in the grub4dos sed script(s) needs some improvement?

PS: The torrent is still working correctly.

Victor Chew

#5 Post by Victor Chew » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:32 pm

Noted and fixed. Thanks!

This will go into the next minor release.

ady

#6 Post by ady » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:33 pm

In cpu.cfg, there is the following code

Code: Select all

LINUX /ubcd/boot/x86test/x86test
APPEND -
Is that "
APPEND -
" really necessary or useful for any potential situation for x86test? To be clear, I understand the use of the hyphen (dash) for Syslinux. I am just wondering if this is useful (or necessary) for some potential case for this specific boot entry with this specific kernel (x86test). (I keep thinking, "there is probably some reason for this to be there".)

If it is useful (or necessary) for any potential situation (which I don't know) with x86test, it is fine leaving it there.

Then, is the corresponding "cpu.lst" boot entry correct?

Code: Select all

kernel /ubcd/boot/x86test/x86test -
map --unmap=0:0xff
I mean, is that hyphen (dash) at the end of the first line of the grub4dos entry acceptable? If it doesn't bother, then it doesn't matter. If it is not acceptable in any case (which I don't know; hence I'm asking), then I would tend to think it should be corrected appropriately.

Victor Chew

#7 Post by Victor Chew » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Seems like the "APPEND -" is not necessary.

I have removed it from the cfg files.

Explorer09

#8 Post by Explorer09 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:37 pm

One more thing, Victor. This v5.2 release does not include the antivirus definition files. Is this intentional? I don't remember you made this decision before.

Victor Chew

#9 Post by Victor Chew » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:26 am

Oh no, it's a mistake (which I am sure you don't agree :D)!

Will be fixed in the next release.

Explorer09

#10 Post by Explorer09 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:57 am

Another license correction:
StressCPU2: It's open source under GPLv2+. You can see the copyright statement in the help text ('stresscpu2 -h'). The source code is available in the original website (here).

ady

#11 Post by ady » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:22 am

Victor Chew wrote:Oh no, it's a mistake (which I am sure you don't agree :D)!
You probably mean that I don't agree :), and you would be correct. Executing the 2 included scripts, or updating through the respective GUIs, is simple enough.

A specific release of a newspaper has a life-span of, at most, one day (and in practice, less than 24hs). Would anyone buy it if its cost would be much higher, while there are simple valid alternatives?

Adding dozens of MB to the official release of UBCD for something that has a life-spam of, at most, a few days (and compare it to, say, Ranish, which has not changed in years, it is only a few KB and it is still useful after many years) is a disproportion IMO, specially when there are simple solutions ready for usage (the included 2 scripts and/or the included GUIs).

Explorer09

#12 Post by Explorer09 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:50 pm

ady wrote:You probably mean that I don't agree [that antivirus def files should be included] :), and you would be correct. Executing the 2 included scripts, or updating through the respective GUIs, is simple enough.

A specific release of a newspaper has a life-span of, at most, one day (and in practice, less than 24hs). Would anyone buy it if its cost would be much higher, while there are simple valid alternatives?
Your newspaper analogy is a bad one. No offense, but the antivirus database are cumulative; it's like a history book, with additions and corrections from time to time.

ady

#13 Post by ady » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:55 pm

Explorer09 wrote:Your newspaper analogy is a bad one.
No, it's not. Part of the news are misinformation (that should be corrected ASAP). Part of the news will have follow-ups the next day(s), and part of the news will not have follow-ups. But the words and paragraphs are still part of the history of the newspaper. Yet, the next day you want the updated "current" news.

Similarly, most of old computer virus (at least the ones that are relevant to our database case) and their corresponding antivirus code in the databases, are still there. But the antivirus database is mostly relevant if it is frequently updated, to confront new malware.

Furthermore, I don't think there is a need to look where the analogy goes apart from the original issue. I just took a simple (limited) analogy so to help me explain my point about usefulness and cost. I don't pretend it to be a perfect analogy of antivirus against virus wars or methods or whatever.

Anyway, this is not the first time I try to present my opinion regarding the inclusion of dozens of MB of antivirus database in the official release of UBCD. Having the update scripts and the GUIs to update the databases are more-than-adequate methods for the official release of UBCD, IMO. I have additional concrete and practical reasons for this opinion, but I'll spare the discussion (at least in this post).

Victor Chew

#14 Post by Victor Chew » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Another license correction:
StressCPU2: It's open source under GPLv2+. You can see the copyright statement in the help text ('stresscpu2 -h'). The source code is available in the original website (here).
Corrected. Thanks!

Explorer09

#15 Post by Explorer09 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:41 am

During the discussion of the help files in another thread, I think the help files for PMagic should be updated, too. I mean the /ubcd/menus/syslinux/pmagic*.txt files.

To save Victor's and other's time, I've summarized what information is outdated below.
  • PCMan File Manager is replaced by SpaceFM. SpaceFM is now the default file manager since PMagic 6.7.
  • PMagic now starts the network automatically, so there's no need to run "Start Network" manually as described in the help file. Also the "Start Network" icon is no longer on the desktop (although it's still available in the start menu).
  • Hardware Lister is now it's called LSHW in the start menu ->"System tools".
  • The "Mount Devices" icon is no longer on the desktop. (But there's still one icon on the taskbar.)
  • I don't see FireFTP in any of these PMagic versions: 4.10, 6.6, 2013_01_29. It seems to be removed since PMagic 4.7, when the PMagic author chooses Chrome and later Chromium instead of firefox. After that FireFTP never returns.
  • Xarchiver has been replaced with File Roller (a.k.a. Archive Manager in the start menu) since PMagic 4.11. (Proof)
  • The "Search for files and folders" was the find command in PCManFM. It's now SpaceFM File Search.
Update (2013-03-04):
  • Midnight Commander is not called so in the start menu. It's now named Command Line File Manager in the start menu while in fact it is Midnight Commander.
  • Erase Disk is renamed to Disk Eraser.
  • It seems that PMagic authors are planning to replace a few GUI programs with their own written GUI. (http://forums.partedmagic.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4697) Specifically, Mount-gtk is going to be replaced in the future versions of PMagic.
Update (2013-03-12):
Mount-gtk is NOT going to be replaced soon.

Victor Chew

#16 Post by Victor Chew » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Noted. Thanks!