UBCD Live V0.2.0b available for download

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Victor Chew

UBCD Live V0.2.0b available for download

#1 Post by Victor Chew » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:47 pm

This is a continuation from this thread.

I have just cut a new image and bumped the version up to 0.2.0b. In addition, I have added a link to the main website:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ubcdlive.html

The objective is to hopefully get more people to have a look at it and provide suggestions/feedback.

The build script is available here:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download/build020b.txz

lliseil

Re: UBCD Live V0.2.0b available for download

#2 Post by lliseil » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi, this is great news Victor!
I'm seeding the torrent at a good speed.
Will hopefully be able to test ubcdlive Beta2 in the coming days, make some comparison with Pmagic and come back here.

Note: while the torrent works fine, the magnet didn't start (yes the client i use supports it :))

ghostadmin

#3 Post by ghostadmin » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:18 am

Looks good for me. Good enough to replace PM.

Could have also something to change Layout of Keyboard.
And something for stresstest: http://systester.sourceforge.net/

And how about adding a real virus scanner, the free license for Bitdefender is valid for 1 year and has a commandline version which is small. ClamAV ist not really good.

Also there is a small tool "msed" which is handy to handle self encrypted crucial ssd. The tool from crucial cannot decrypt a disk which is mounted by OS.

One Problem i had with old Parted Magic versions, the disks (usb?) were very slow when using dd. Also dd doesnt show any speed, so it would be nice to have a tool to see disk IO

bmarsh

#4 Post by bmarsh » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:29 pm

Got the beta downloaded and have tested it briefly.... So far it looked very good... and since Patrick Verner has dis-owned me because I reported a few problems with his distro.... I am glad to have something even better to use.

I had to rebuild a failing disk drive this week and clonezilla totally failed in what should have been a straight-forward clone. I'll add what I sent to the PMagic forum that got me tossed at the end of this. I was very surprised at the reaction.

But the problem I have had with both UBCD beta and PMagic was trying to do a 'chroot' to a new drive after having rebuilt it. I get the message "/bin/bash" EXEC format error. Now there must be something I am doing wrong, but I'm doing it the same way I've always done it and when I switched to a Kubuntu install disk to do the chroot, I had no problems. What's the clue to doing a 'chroot' in a terminal session?

UPDATE: have since learned that the format error is due to trying to run an i386 binary on a 64bit system. Figures... :roll:

Here are my steps doing the rebuild... and this is exactly what I posted on the PM forum that got me totally tossed. He must be pretty touchy because I was only trying to help and not be nasty at all.
===============================================================
Let me tell you about my day.. I had a disk drive that was flakey... from time to time it would just disappear from an AMD64 linux system.

After a few weeks of putting up with this, I decided it was time to replace the drive. I used a drive of the same capacity(1TB), and all I wanted to do was to clone the bad drive. I was fortunate in that the bad drive was behaving nicely so it should have been an easy clone usng Clonezilla.

NOT.

I took the following steps:
1) Put the bad drive and the new drive on the system as the only drives.
2) Loaded PM and used gparted to make a partition table on the new drive.
3) Ran Clonezilla asking for filesystem checking.
4) Clonezilla went through an verified all partitions on the bad drive as good.
5) Then Clonezilla got into all types of partition table problems and talked about "busy partitions"
6) End result, I got nothing out of Clonezilla. Tried several times.
7) Use gparted to copy all partitions from Bad to new drive. In same order as the bad drive. Went OK
8) Went into terminal mode to do a chroot to the new drive to install Grub and run update-grub
9) Could not chroot to new drive... said "bad /bin/bash exec" or something to that effect.
10) Booted a Kubuntu install system and was able to chroot from that system and finished the job.

All is fine with the new drive now... but except for copying the partitions using gparted, I had total failures from the PM setup.

Doesn't give me warm fuzzies about it being a rescue system.

blakecasimir

#5 Post by blakecasimir » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:30 am

Just gave this a quick try on an old Gateway laptop I use for testing. I used "lili" to copy UBCDLive to a USB stick. (RMPrepUSB says it does it but the stick will not then boot, ISOLINUX complains of a missing configuration file.)

There are some useful tools here but of primary interest to me was WHDD as an alternative to the increasingly deprecated (due to AHCI) MHDD.

WHDD doesn't work for me. This Gateway laptop is Pentium M vintage and reports the hard disk as being non-ATA. Running WHDD, it asks if I want to use posix or ata as an option and neither work. The former allows me to choose a starting LBA position and... the window disappears. Nothing. Hmm.

logosolos

#6 Post by logosolos » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:26 pm

For those interested, I was able to get this booting with my PXE server. I don't have time to get through a step-by-step but it basically goes the same way any other NFS bootable linux distro goes.

Here is my text.cfg file. Modify to suit your environment. I hope it helps someone out.

Code: Select all

label ubcdlive
        menu label ^4: Ultimate Boot CD (Live!)
        kernel /boot-images/ubcd/ubcdlive/vmlinuz
        append netboot=nfs nfsroot=192.168.1.148:/nfs-share/ubcdlive initrd=/boot-images/ubcd/ubcdlive/initrd.img boot=live config username=root vga=normal

Zzyzx

#7 Post by Zzyzx » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:10 pm

I tested beta .02 by burning a copy to a CD and by using Pendrive's Universal USB Installer to boot UBCD Live from a USB drive. Both booted up completely. I tried using Yumi multiboot USB but I couldn't get the USB drive to boot UBCD Live to boot successfully.

I noticed that I was unable to update tkClam Antivirus signatures when booted from the USB drive. It started the update process but nedd state completed in a few seconds. I was not able to view the File Manger's help files. It wanted to know what browser to call up to view the online help.

richexpert

#8 Post by richexpert » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:11 pm

Thank you for this very awesome software .... solved alot of my problems as TI.

you guys rulez

Hawaiihemd

#9 Post by Hawaiihemd » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:46 am

You want feedback... you get it.

As far as I can tell - as a linux noob - v0.2.0b works good so far. I could boot it via USB thumb drive made with LiLi - as described by another user above.
I for one used PM especially for solving problems around defective hard drives and storage access in cases of corrupted operating systems. Furthermore to reset the passwords on windows machines.

For MY use, the only things missing here are:
- chntpw
- An easy way to change the keyboard layout
- A PDF reader

Great job though so far! THX

Hawaiihemd

#10 Post by Hawaiihemd » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:52 am

I managed to include chntpw as a module on my thumb drive but I failed to include xpdf. I'm clearly missing some basics here :(.
Also I could not get v0.2.0b running by adding the iso to the current UBCD release. It stopped during boot.

Anyhow, I don't see why this should not be replacing PM in the next version of UBCD. Definitely better than a seriously outdated PM. Maybe also those programs I mentioned could be included by then :roll:.

If I can give any incentive, let me know...

ady

#11 Post by ady » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:16 am

For MY use, the only things missing here are:
- chntpw
Methods to change NT passwords are already included in the original UBCD. There are methods for Linux and for FreeDOS. It can always be updated (even manually); instructions in respective websites.
- An easy way to change the keyboard layout
- A PDF reader
[sarcasm]
We could also include 2 or 3 multimedia players, so to play something during other important but boring tasks.
Although, sometimes such activity is boring too. Let's add some games. Some of them for low-resources systems, and some with multiplayer, network and social interactions, preferable with high resolution and cool realistic 3D visual effects. :mrgreen:
[/sarcasm]

Now seriously. A pdf document can be read elsewhere (and usually it would be recommended to read relevant information before proceeding with serious tasks). I can understand the desire to have a pdf reader at hand, but I would tend to think the path to bloatware is a slippery slope. Perhaps a very-low-resource PDF reader might be acceptable, maybe.

BaiginLong

#12 Post by BaiginLong » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:09 pm

Actually, the purpose of PDF viewing and other file viewing software would be beneficial for data recovery confirmation. We don't need distractions and bloatware for sure, but we could use tools that assist in partition management, data recovery, and repair operations. Sometimes that involves checking PDFs.

Don't forget that a lot of hardware manuals come in the form of PDFs these days.

Hawaiihemd

#13 Post by Hawaiihemd » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:01 am

ady wrote: Now seriously. A pdf document can be read elsewhere (and usually it would be recommended to read relevant information before proceeding with serious tasks). I can understand the desire to have a pdf reader at hand, but I would tend to think the path to bloatware is a slippery slope. Perhaps a very-low-resource PDF reader might be acceptable, maybe.
Well, I can see your point of view. But following that argumentation who needs a web browser?! Websites can be surfed elsewhere... ;)
But let's be realistic. If we use a linux distro with a GUI it's all about efficiency combined with convenience!

As I am not too firm with all this stuff, and can not memorize every info I looked up on a subject beforehand, I very much appreciate the ability to look something up online or check the HOW_TO pdfs I keep on MY UBCD as well. As I may not have an internet connection with that box, those are very important to me.
I mean, of course it's a matter of opinion, and i could also write me some simple text file HOW-TO without illustrations but it would not be as efficient to me as a pdf file.
BaiginLong wrote:Actually, the purpose of PDF viewing and other file viewing software would be beneficial for data recovery confirmation. We don't need distractions and bloatware for sure, but we could use tools that assist in partition management, data recovery, and repair operations. Sometimes that involves checking PDFs.

Don't forget that a lot of hardware manuals come in the form of PDFs these days.
Good point.

Victor Chew

#14 Post by Victor Chew » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:47 pm

A low-resource PDF reader is indeed a good idea. Will add that to next release!

Victor Chew

#15 Post by Victor Chew » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:22 am

UBCD Live V0.2.1b is now available here.

I am still working on the following for V0.2.2b:

- systester (note that systester-cli is already available in CPUStress/UBCD)
- msed
- Tool for displaying disk I/O
- Update procedure of antivirus sigs (and possible persistence when UBCD Live is run from USB memory stick)

I don't feel comfortable including BitDefender due to the nature of its license (commercial trialware).

Cosmin

#16 Post by Cosmin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:04 pm

Hi.

2 suggestions:

1. How about adding some shortcuts (to the tools) on desktop? Or at least for the console...

2. One thing that it really bothered me in Parted Magic and also in UBCD live is that I have to double click so fast to start a desktop shortcut. It's like the time is set below 0.15..0.1 sec.
For now I'm using simple click + Return key on keyboard.
In Windows and other Linux distros I have no problem with this.
Could you please set the maximum time interval between clicks to a higher value? For example the half of the interval between the current value and the default Windows value (I think it's 0.5 sec) would be perfect.

Best regards,
Cosmin

Victor Chew

#17 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:28 am

@Cosmin: OK, will look into both suggestions in the next release.

Cosmin

#18 Post by Cosmin » Mon May 04, 2015 1:42 am

Victor Chew wrote:@Cosmin: OK, will look into both suggestions in the next release.
Thank you.

Meanwhile, another problem:

It seems that it isn't connecting to the network/internet on my computer.
My network is wired: 2 network cards (eth0 and eth1), eth0 is connected to a router.
I have no problems in Windows and any other Linux distro (like Fedora or Knoppix).
Even if I write "eth0" and check "Always switch to a wired connection when available", still doesn't connect.
Attachments
snapshot3.png

ady

#19 Post by ady » Mon May 04, 2015 1:59 am

Please, let's continue with relevant feedback in the announcement topic for the current UBCD Live version https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/v ... =7&t=14828.

That would be version 0.2.2b at this time, and there was also a "0.2.1b" version with its corresponding announcement topic. It is more difficult to relate the feedback to the relevant version if everyone posts in the same (old) topic.

jasonhc73

#20 Post by jasonhc73 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:26 am

Hello,
Thanks for doing the Live CD. Very cool.

Works great on my Dell Mini 9. Wifi and all!

Looses it's mind though on my desktop. The screen resolution sync just doesn't work. It brings it up as 1920x1080, but I have no idea what the refresh rate is. It only indicates auto and 0.00. It does the same thing regardless of the resolution. All the text is about 2 or 3 point, extremely tiny.
I planned to use it on my desktop for clonezilla, but the display is practically unusable.
The desktop is a AMD A10-7700, with the gpu disabled, and the gpu is a RX-480.

Looks fantastic and is very fast and stable on my little 1600 MHz Intel Atom (i686).