Interesting site to put UBCD on USB

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Icecube

Interesting site to put UBCD on USB

#1 Post by Icecube » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:41 am

See: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2006/03/25 ... sb-device/

Thanks goes to Hansihe for finding it:
viewtopic.php?p=6074#6074

It isn't optimal because it requires that you download several utitlities (like the HP format tool) yourself, but the 7z extracting part of the UBCD iso can be interesting to add to UBCD.
So adding a small download on the UBCD website to make a bootable USB stick when you have already downloaded the iso.

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:52 pm

I think all the various options have been extensively discussed in:

viewtopic.php?t=155

Correct me if I am wrong, but my feel of the whole USB booting business is that it's a huge mess. :D You have USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-HDD, and the implementations on various BIOSes are buggy. So a method that works on one machine may not work on another.

Am I being too pessimistic?

pio

#3 Post by pio » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:07 pm

Victor Chew wrote:Am I being too pessimistic?
Yes.

There is makebootfat, it allows to follow multiple usb boot standards at the same time.

And as fallback you can use either a kicker disc (a floppy or cd booting because this works for most bios's, loading usb drivers and chainbooting the usb or using something like plop bootmanager).

It's all there, just someone needs to pick it up. :)

Icecube

#4 Post by Icecube » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:00 am

pio wrote:There is makebootfat, it allows to follow multiple usb boot standards at the same time.
It was used in the previous version of UBCD, but it didn't always create a good geometry. Last version is from 2005, I think.
pio wrote:And as fallback you can use either a kicker disc (a floppy or cd booting because this works for most bios's, loading usb drivers and chainbooting the usb or using something like plop bootmanager).
We know about PLOP :D (see faq).