Diagnostics on UEFI systems

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

NinDeckSai

Diagnostics on UEFI systems

#1 Post by NinDeckSai » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:27 am

I'm noticing a lot of systems are using semi-standard versions of UEFI (Universal Extended Firmware Interface) and this new beta-standard is interfering with a number of diagnostics utilities including UBCD.

Basically UEFI is an OS on-top of the BIOS that translates PC-AT Bios functions and proprietary bios functions for higher level programming languages; it also masks the actual system bios from the OS. It's also supposed to grant some major advantages such as a true networked boot environment for ethernet/wifi (e.g. has it's own TCP/IP stack; finds an ip via DHCP then a boot server can load it with a host os for example).

Dos was designed to run on PC-AT; while UEFI offers a PC-AT wrapper/emulator for this there are some problems e.g. running PCDoc 6 with the USB lock and having the unit dismount the key when it does a HDD diagnostic or failing to be compatible with MSCDEX/dos boot or diagnostic environment (Anything using Insyde H20; Dell, HP, Toshiba, Acer, doesn't matter). Linux generally runs fine but that's a higher level thing since you don't get access to nice features like legacy memory addressing modes (that are more "honest") AFAIK.

For the most part you don't run into these issues on Phoenix or AMI/on desktops; traditionally you ran into problems on proprietary bios such as older Toshiba or Fujitsu or on exotics.

In any case, enough rambling. Has anyone found a good diagnostics software package for UEFI systems/ran into the same problems I have been? I've noticed a few threads on here with people having problems. I can work around by using multiple diagnostics packages but it's been a pain to use a solution like that.

Thanks!

Michael-O

#2 Post by Michael-O » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:45 pm

UEFI ist not on top of the BIOS. It replaces the crappy BIOS completely.

delicatepc

#3 Post by delicatepc » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:48 am

Not necessarily diagnostic tool but Microsoft Vista and later bootloader now support EFI (apparently). There is a folder called EFI in each cd/dvd.

I suppose you could use Windows Recovery Environment and/or the windows built in memory test. Not much but just thought i would give you a heads up.

~
dpc