Unlock Password Locked PC Hard Drive

If you have any useful tools or links that you wish to recommend to other UBCD users, post them here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

connorsnyc

Unlock Password Locked PC Hard Drive

#1 Post by connorsnyc » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 am

I am a tech for a public school and we have a delightful student who is locking our hard drives on our Lenovo x131e laptops. While I can get the drives replaced i wondered if UBCD can be used to unlock the drives. As far as I know the laptops still have our non-standard BIOS password. And I'm not sure how the student is doing this. Will UBCD help me? And any thoughts on how this is happening will be greatly appreciated.

The Piney

Re: Unlock Password Locked PC Hard Drive

#2 Post by The Piney » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:56 am

I'm not familiar with that model of laptop but you should be able to put a BIOS/UEFI admin password that will not allow changes but still allow the laptop to be booted although that's not going to help with the "already affected" systems. You can also put a master password (NOT boot password) on the HDD before hand so the student can't.

It is also possible that he put a boot password on the HDDs and if you can get into the BIOS may be able to reset using a master password if set.

For the record: I have had NO luck in removing master passwords from the HDDS I have tried.