A few comments about joining the forum

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

bmarsh

A few comments about joining the forum

#1 Post by bmarsh » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:18 pm

I'm very new to UBCD and have downloaded the beta to try and wanted to join the forum. But I ran into a real stumbling block when I had to answer "the question" as to who is the major author of UBCD! As a completely new person to UBCD, I searched around the home page, went to sourceforge, and any other place I could look. (sorry, no offense to Victor but he's not even in the acknowledgments. I finally deduced from the sourceforge page, based on the recent blog updates, that it must be Victor.

But in the meantime, I had tried a few other entries and caused a lockout because of the entries. Thus, a 24 hour delay in trying to answer the question. And then one wonders: is it just victor? victorchew? Is is case sensitive? Huh?

Well anyway, I finally made it in and hate to be cmoplaining as my first topic entry, but it was a real problem there for a bit. But then, maybe you want the answer to be that elusive... sure does keep the riff-raff out. :mrgreen:

Victor Chew

Re: A few comments about joining the forum

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:45 pm

I apologize for the inconvenience you've been through. This measure was first introduced because the forum was overwhelmed by spammers! Even simple questions like "What is the color of snow?" was not working because I suspect the "intelligence"was being outsourced to spam farms in China or India.

Anyway, I have added a line a the top of the "Acknowledgements" page to highlight that the project was started by Victor Chew in 2003. The answer could be either 'Victor" or "Victor Chew", so it is quite lenient in this regard.

I will also add a footer to every page indicating the copyright owner, making it even easier to people to find the right answer (but hopefully not too easy for the spammers!)

bmarsh

Re: A few comments about joining the forum

#3 Post by bmarsh » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks much!! Should be helpful to others.....