Can UBCD scan for and recover deleted files?

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

pyrestriker

Can UBCD scan for and recover deleted files?

#1 Post by pyrestriker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:14 am

For some reason or other, it seems I have several files that, after a "professional 3-day scan of my hard drive (showing no errors with the drive) have been deleted that require my OS to boot. Is UBCD able to scan for, and recover these files from an NTFS filesystem? I tried looking for a list of programs and utilities on the site, but to no avail...

ady

Re: Can UBCD scan for and recover deleted files?

#2 Post by ady » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:47 am

List of Programs:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com

You could use PartedMagic, included in UBCD, to mount your HDD partitions and explore your files. Eventually, you can copy them to a UFD.

What you may be looking for is some "undelete" CD/UFD tool. You may try with the ones included in UBCD, as one possibility, but some NTFS specific tool may give you better results, according to the specific files/data erased.

pyrestriker

Re: Can UBCD scan for and recover deleted files?

#3 Post by pyrestriker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:11 pm

Looks like I won't really need it. (or shouldn't, anyway). Puppy Linux has the NTFS Tools package installed by default, including ntfsundelete (Even if it is commandline). I've tested it a few times, seems to work well on my external. When I get my laptop back from the seemingly useless tech squad of the place it was purchased (and spent an extra $400 for the insurance on the darn thing... And now they want to charge $149 to recover the registry file? Eww.) I'll try it on there as well.

I'll still probably find a couple of good uses for UBCD.