Hard drive not recognized

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

RiciaS

Hard drive not recognized

#1 Post by RiciaS » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:02 am

I have a Dell Inspiron 531. The hard drive crashed and is not recognized by the computer. I have a lot of data on it that I would like to retrieve (I know, I should have backed it up but procrastinated until it was too late). I bought and installed a new hard drive so the computer is working again (windows 7). I bought the Ultimate Boot CD in the hopes of repairing my old hard drive long enough to retrieve the data. I have no idea if this is possible or where to start. The only other computer I have is a Toshiba NB305 so I don't think I can test the bad drive on that. Are there any programs on the CD that can attempt repair of the hard drive, even though it is not recognized by the computer? Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

ady

Re: Hard drive not recognized

#2 Post by ady » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:50 am

RiciaS wrote:I bought the Ultimate Boot CD
UBCD is Freeware, so no user could tell you what exactly you have in your bought CD.

In any case, when a HDD "crashed" (really "crashed", but mechanically working), the original UBCD could help, but all the tools included in UBCD are targeted to more advanced users. Using the tools in the "wrong" way, may actually make the recovery more difficult, or even impossible.

RiciaS

Re: Hard drive not recognized

#3 Post by RiciaS » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:49 am

Depressing, but thanks for the reply.