SATA HD

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

rockit

SATA HD

#1 Post by rockit » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:38 pm

I'm using the lastest version of ubcd however the program partedmagic doesn't recognize my sata hd. I have a Asus A8V-x motherboard.

Is there a solution for that ?

Thanks

ady

Re: SATA HD

#2 Post by ady » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:43 am

Are you using UBCD 5.1.1 (the current latest stable version)?

When you open the "mount drives" tool in PartedMagic, do you see your drive listed?

Can you tell us the EXACT model of your HDD? If you don't know, can you run Hardware Detection Tool (HDT, also included in UBCD 5.1.1) to find out the exact HDD model?

rockit

#3 Post by rockit » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:29 am

I have two sata hds
- Western Digital Raptor WD360GD-00FLA2
- Western Digital WD10EARS-00Y5B1

Is it possible to be a chipset problem, cause i when i used older version (i think v4) of UBCD the SATA HD was recognized.
My motherboard uses VIA K8T800 Pro rev 0.0 chipset.
I'm using lastest stable version of UBCD

Thaks very much !

ady

#4 Post by ady » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:06 am

rockit wrote:I have two sata hds
- Western Digital Raptor WD360GD-00FLA2
That is a SATA I ( 1.5 ).
- Western Digital WD10EARS-00Y5B1
SATA II ( 3 )

So, generally speaking, PMagic should NOT have a problem to recognize those types of HDDs.
Is it possible to be a chipset problem, cause i when i used older version (i think v4) of UBCD the SATA HD was recognized.
My motherboard uses VIA K8T800 Pro rev 0.0 chipset.
Well, for PMagic, it "could" be a chipset-related problem. But it could also be a SATA ports related problem. In the same mainboard, not every SATA port is "the same", specially having 2 different versions of SATA HDDs ( SATA I / II ).

A third possible factor is the jumper settings in those 2 HDDs. Yes, SATA drives also have jumpers. But I would NOT "play" with them if the HDDs are currently working correctly.
I'm using lastest stable version of UBCD
A "version number" should be more informative. The current UBCD 5.1.1 also has the current latest stable version of PMagic ( 6.6 ).

You didn't answer my other question:
When you open the "mount drives" tool in PartedMagic, do you see your drive listed?
I think that the more important question now would be, what exactly is your goal.

UBCD 5.1.1 also contains Western Digital's tools. If those tools have problems "recognizing" your drives, then we may start looking into a certain range of possible problems/solutions.

OTOH, if those tools work fine with your drives, then the range of problems/solutions is different.

For whatever reason you want PartedMagic to recognize your drives, we may find some alternative tool that would work, and that's why I ask for your goal.