No Apps will run

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

dguy

No Apps will run

#1 Post by dguy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:47 am

Using v3.4, either full or basic editions...

Boot to the CD, navigate through the initial menu, choose an app, and let 'er rip. Eventually I land on a dialog of sorts, explaining that my app is about to run, how to start VC, and so on.

The app never runs. Regardless of whether I wait for the dialog to timeout or hit "Ok" immediately, I get tossed back to a command prompt on the RAM drive and that's it. :(

The UBCD.BAT script appears as one of it's near-final commands before exiting, to invoke "call %ubcdcmd%". The problem appears to be however that there is no executable anywhere (either in the path or not) which corresponds to the value of %ubcdcmd%.

I have verified that the applications are present on the CD, but they are either not being extracted to the RAM drive, or for some reason I do not have access to them from the pseudo-drive "A" which appears when booting to CD.

Where do I go from here? :?

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:03 am

ubcdcmd is populated by this line in launch.scn:

Code: Select all

if compare["$method" "memdisk"]; then isolinux memdisk initrd=/images/$image ubcdcmd=$target
So for example, if you are trying to launch lucifer (mboard.scn):

if ($lastKey == key[f1]); then set method = "memdisk"; then set image = "fdubcd"; then set target = "lucifer"; then script launch.scn
fdubcd will be booted with ubcdcmd=lucifer. At the end of the boot process, it will change directory to x:\dosapps\lucifer (where x is the drive letter of your CDROM drive), then run startup.bat.

If somehow ubcdcmd is not passed into fdubcd, then there will be problems.

Could you invoke expert mode (by pressing [Ins] in any of the menus), then launch any of the apps involving fdubcd but change the boot method from memdisk to bcdw? Let me know if it helps.

dguy

#3 Post by dguy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:56 pm

Thanks Victor.

Switching the boot mode to bcdw didn't change anything, but I have managed to make some progress...

I noticed that when running UBCD.BAT, it displays a list of available drive letters just before displaying the App dialog. In my case, I'm seeing:

BOOTDRV: A
RAMDRV: Q
UBCDDRV:
Note the lack of letter assignment for UBCDDRV.

After dismissing the App dialog, if I run CDROM.BAT manually a CDROM driver is loaded, and T: assigned to the CD drive. Subsequent launches of UBCD.BAT and the selected application then work perfectly.

I have observed CDROM.BAT being called during the boot process, however it would appear from that invocation that no CDROM driver is being loaded. The message "CDROM: Starting (version 2.2)" is displayed, yet that's as far as it goes.

So it would appear that I have a workaround for the moment. Any suggestions as to how to determine why CDROM.BAT will only load the driver when invoked manually?