problem creating an iso file

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

tobster

problem creating an iso file

#1 Post by tobster » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:13 am

Hi
I have managed to download the exe version of the basic UBCD & when I run it, it produces a zip file. When I extract that with winrar it produces loads of folders but no iso file. I'm sure I'm doing something silly, perhaps someone can push me in the right direction??? I was intending to use HDclone to copy the entire contents of one drive onto a new bigger one - is this an effective way to do it as I don't want re install of of the software. THanks

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:17 pm

Something is wrong with the extraction. Running the EXE file should produce the ISO file directly, and not a ZIP file.

If you still have problems, try installing 7-Zip and extract using that.

tobster

#3 Post by tobster » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:51 am

thanks for the advice Victor - I'll try downloading the exe file from another source and then see what happens. Out of interest how will using 7-Zip help with this 'faulty' exe file? Is my intended use of HDclone (to copy across the entire contents of my small, partinioned hard drive onto a larger new hard drive) correct or can you recommend an alternative, better method. Thanks

baronvonfoxbat7734

#4 Post by baronvonfoxbat7734 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:18 am

I suggest enabling theviewig of file extension in your views on Windows. Basically go Tools then Folder Options, click the view tab, and then uncheck the hide known extension types box. With that unchecked, does the file show .iso on it or .zip or .7z or .rar or something?

If you have 7Zip or WinRAR installed, it will want to associate with .iso files and make it look like a zip or a rar file. That is why I suggest showing the file typeswhen dealing with files like this.

Hope this helps you!!

Victor Chew

#5 Post by Victor Chew » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:59 pm

Basically, the EXE files are self-extracting archives created using 7-Zip (which gives better compression than ZIP).

If you have 7-Zip installed on your machine, you can right-click and directly view/extract the contents of the EXE archive, which should contain a single ISO file only.