DOS apps customisation problem

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

egalitarian

DOS apps customisation problem

#1 Post by egalitarian » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:29 pm

I'm trying to add dos apps to the custom folder in the fdubcd.img using the procedure described in the Customizing UBCD page but I encountered 2 problems:
1. There's only 700k free left on the image. Is there a way to make a larger image or if not possible add a custom path to search for CABs (e.g. like C:\ubcd\custom\cabs as my flash drive will be on C: upon boot)?
2. In the customization doc it is stated that zip, rar, 7z, uha are supported but for me it works only with cab.
Otherwise everything works as expected. Excellent work!

ady

Re: DOS apps customisation problem

#2 Post by ady » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:49 am

There are several methods to customize fdubcd.img so to have more space available. But IMO, making a bigger image should be your last resort, considering that it affects other entries in the Syslinux menu and that it slightly reduces the chances to successfully boot.

One possibility for you would be to reduce the size of certain cab archives (inside fdubcd.img) which contain "dispensable" files.

A second possible method is to copy fdubcd.img, delete the programs and cab archives that you don't really need to be available simultaneously with your customized programs, add your additional tools and set a new menu entry. You end up with the original fdubcd.img and with an additional fdubcd_custom.img.

The easiest method, if you don't need simultaneous access to your custom DOS programs and to other DOS tools, is to add a new image with your customized DOS tools under
/ubcd/custom/
, adding a custom entry in
ubcd/custom/custom.cfg
for that image.

Note: when I say "simultaneous" I mean that for some reason you "must" have access to several DOS programs without rebooting UBCD.

The adequate option for you depends on the required additional size, on the real needs, and perhaps on your own knowledge.
egalitarian wrote: 2. In the customization doc it is stated that zip, rar, 7z, uha are supported but for me it works only with cab.
I haven't "played" with the other archive formats in fdubcd for some time, so this needs some testing. Thanks for reporting.

Regards,
Ady.

egalitarian

#3 Post by egalitarian » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:41 am

Thanks. I'll probably clear up the apps to free space and create a custom image as you've suggested. That seems the least problematic.

Victor Chew

#4 Post by Victor Chew » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:42 pm

2. In the customization doc it is stated that zip, rar, 7z, uha are supported but for me it works only with cab.
The docs need to be updated, but basically RAR and UHA are no longer supported.

ZIP and 7Z should work, but I think it is not working due to the bug listed here. I will try to find a workaround for the next release.

Thanks for reporting this!

Victor Chew

#5 Post by Victor Chew » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:22 pm

I have reverted back to p7zip V4.65:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stu ... file/7zip/

I was unable to resolve the path issue in 7za (both 9.13 and 9.20.1).

With p7zip, both ZIP and 7Z file formats are now fully supported and tested in DOSAPPS.

I will also update the customization page in the next release for the supported formats (CAB, ZIP and 7Z).