UBCD Live V0.2.1b available for download

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Victor Chew

UBCD Live V0.2.1b available for download

#1 Post by Victor Chew » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:24 pm

Just added some stuff to UBCD Live, bumping the version up to 0.2.1b.

Download from: https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ubcdlive.html

Changelog:

- Added chntpw.
- Added xpdf for viewing PDF files.
- Added a slightly modded version of fskbsetting for keyboard selection.

The build script is available here:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download/build021b.txz

Hawaiihemd

Re: UBCD Live V0.2.1b available for download

#2 Post by Hawaiihemd » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:43 am

Awesome man! THX. Testing...

LinksysRouter

#3 Post by LinksysRouter » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:36 am

Out of curiosity, have you considered using Porteus as your base? I am using the XFCE variant with root login, and it didn't take long for me to customize it with the tools I need (the distro makes it *really* easy to do so). It's designed to be run as a live distribution and they stuff in a ton of tools to make customizing it easy. It's based on slackware, same as parted magic was.

All you need to do is get the variant you want (xfce seems to run more stably then lxQT), download and repackage the programs you want to add via the USM program, then make the changes you want and use the porteus manager while running to save the session itself as a package.

Here is some screenshots of me setting up a custom build (less then 300MB) similar to parted magic after about 2 hours of fiddling.

Here is my desktop after loading porteus into RAM. I also put in a boot option that prevents drives automounting (which will hang the boot if a drive is especially faulty).

Firefox opened up, with everyone's favorite new adblocker, µblock

GSmartControl, ddrescue, and thunar file manager all open

Windows network share all fine and easy to access, which parted magic always struggled with (requires the gvfs package)

A quick look at the main customization menu

Porteus 32 & 64 bit (and both EFI and legacy) on my USB drive. You'll notice both variants are below 300MB each, that includes printing support.

All the packages I made up and included to get it more parted-magicesque. Here is the list:

[*]first three are just internal updates brought down by the porteus update manager
[*]changes-150428.xzm is all the changes I have made to the session (firefox customization, shortcut changes, that sort of thing). This was made via the porteus save session option (done on a clean boot after downloading all the packages first)
[*]ddrescue - Pretty self explanatory, very useful drive rescue tool
[*]grsync - graphical interface for rsync, which I find is a *really* fast copy tool
[*]gsmartcontrol - hard-drive testing tool, same one parted magic used
[*]gvfs - So the file manager can hook into windows shares easily
[*]hfsprogs/utils - HFS access for apple filing systems
[*]testdisk - partition recovery

That's just the ones I bothered with, I'll probably add more packages as I need them. But yeah. No need to reinvent the wheel (though it looks good so far).

Victor Chew

#4 Post by Victor Chew » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:47 am

Out of curiosity, have you considered using Porteus as your base?
Yes, we had a long and hard discussion about this very topic here.

bluegem

#5 Post by bluegem » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:41 pm

TrueCrypt is probably not a good choice, please see the following: http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

A program to consider including if you are not too concerned with the size of USB drive you need: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

zeon

DVDisaster: Archival with data loss protection

#6 Post by zeon » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi to all.

About next UBCD Live's version: It would be possible to add a very useful software (at least for me is the best program in his category) like DVDisaster (open source, GNU GPL v3)? Its Win version is something I used to use several times for my Bd-R/Bd-Rs DL media.

----------------------------------
It's a tool for creating error correction data ("ecc data") for optical media such as CD, DVD and BD discs.
The dvdisaster solution: Archival with data loss protection. dvdisaster complements optical media with error correction data in a way that they are fully recoverable even after some read errors have developed. This enables you to rescue the complete data to a new medium.
Error correction data, in short “ecc data”, is either added to the medium or kept in separate error correction files. dvdisaster works at the image level so that the recovery does not depend on the file system of the medium. The maximum error correction capacity is user-selectable.

----------------------------------

Unfortunately the Windows and Mac OS are no longer supported: the author wants to focus only on FreeBSD, GNU/Linux and NetBSD versions. 0.79.5 is the latest version (August 2015) and It needs to be compiled.

http://dvdisaster.net/en/index.html

Many thanks.

dsummerbell10

#7 Post by dsummerbell10 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:06 pm

Does UBCD have a replacement for Parted Magic?

3dwere

#8 Post by 3dwere » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:30 am

The current version of Slax is based on Debian 9, is very compact (~ 270Mb) and has support for modules.