trouble shoot: file copying, windows back up, fails

Talk about anything related to the UBCD, PC troubleshooting etc.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

kibble_badger_11

trouble shoot: file copying, windows back up, fails

#1 Post by kibble_badger_11 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:33 am

wondering if anyone has insight into these specific issues. i've tried a lot and got nowhere! also, if there is a another forum i should try on the interwebs please advise.

still running windows 7 but windows backup starts failing. was running well for a long time. basically it gets to 12% and hangs up. like for a day. either fails or i stop it. trouble always starts at 12%.

moving to linux so use unetbootin to write .iso to thumb drive. freezes at 88%. every time 88%.

maybe coincidence that 88% plus 12% is 100%. strange anyway.

then i'm noticing issues with copying files for a manual backup process. slow. and also appears to be just stopping short of copying all files.

what do all these things have in common? moving files?

i thought about PSU. but according to the interwebs having no classic symptoms. unless i'm looking at a list of BS interwebs symptoms. drive diagnostics (windows and other) passed. windows ram check was fine. the machine is old. but has worked fine for running intense audio (Reaper). 2 solid state drives, 2 ATA drives, 2 external USB drives, PSU was speced to be more than enough. although can't remember now.

i reinstalled windows 7. same issues as above with backup! and unetbootin! exactly the same. so hardware? connections? copying files has involved 4 drives so far. what i would expect is one drive to fail and only see it there.

much appreciate any ideas, things to try.