what program can format my usb stick into FAT16

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

auto7890

what program can format my usb stick into FAT16

#1 Post by auto7890 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:47 pm

I need an FAT16 on my stick because I only have DOS functioning on my
harddrive and DOS can only read usb sticks with FAT16.

Constance

#2 Post by Constance » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:03 pm

Hmm maybe you should swap to FreeDOS, it can read and write FAT32 (only problem with it is that their defrag isn't working very well).
Which size is your USB stick btw ? For a FAT16 filesystem can't be more than 2 Gigs ... and I doubt an USB stick can be partitionned like a hard disk... you may try fdisk though, disabling support for big drives.
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

auto7890

#3 Post by auto7890 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:24 pm

Constance wrote:Hmm maybe you should swap to FreeDOS, it can read and write FAT32 (only problem with it is that their defrag isn't working very well).
Which size is your USB stick btw ? For a FAT16 filesystem can't be more than 2 Gigs ... and I doubt an USB stick can be partitionned like a hard disk... you may try fdisk though, disabling support for big drives.
Its a 1gig stick. I have some dos programs on the Hirens boot cd, but have never partitioned any hdd or sticks before.
Also I want to know before I partition my external hdd, how much space
does 'xp home edition' take up ? and can I partition a hard drive that has
programs already on it without loosing those programs ?
Its a 60gig hdd and has about 17gig of free space left ?

Constance

#4 Post by Constance » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:55 pm

How much room Windows XP requires depends on many things, including how much space is assigned to swap file (which itself depends on how much RAM you have, unless you define limit values yourself).
I'd say roughly 1 GB but it can be less (or else UBCD4Win wouldn't fit on a CD, I suppose :p )... also depends on which components you install, what you add to it, cluster size of the partition, etc... and it can increase quite much if you have system restoration enabled and install / uninstall lots of things ^^. System updates may take additionnal room too.

And yes, you should be able to create a new partition without data loss if you have enough free space, you'll just have to resize the existing one if it already has the whole disk space assigned to it.

Yet if those programs have been installed before the system you want to install, they may refuse to work with the newer system unless you reinstall them (because they don't find some required system files / registry entries ...)

However if you never partitionned a disk, I'd advise that you don't do it alone for your first time, particularly if you can't save your data before resizing the existing partition. Have some experienced user assist you or doing it for you and showing you how he does it.
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.