my UBCDv4.0 Iso has files missing - I'm desperate!

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Spock's Goatee

my UBCDv4.0 Iso has files missing - I'm desperate!

#1 Post by Spock's Goatee » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:29 pm

I have a new HP dual-core PC with Win Media Center as the O/S. I partitioned the 1st hard drive using Partition Magic 8, intending to create a dual-boot system with XP Home as the 2nd O/S. As a final stage in this process, I used PM8 to render the main O/S partition 'Hidden' and the new empty Primary Partition as 'Active', believing that when I re-booted the PC with the XP Home CD already in, I would be able to install it form the bootable CD. It began to load, then failed. Subsequently, every time I boot up I am met with the message 'NTLDR is missing'. Presumably, this has come about because the new partition I created is not bootable, so the XP Home CD cannot 'see' it? Anyway, I have no floppy drive on this PC. I tried booting with the PM8 Disc, which goes into some form of DOS but I can only get the 'DIR' of what I imagine is the first of two rescue discs, and not the bit which contains the DOS version of PM8.
I have downloaded UBCB, extracted the ISO and followed the instructions for burning and merging the two PM8 rescue floppies into a single .img file. But the tutorial then refers to changes which need to be made to "boot/menus/custom.scn" and I do not have this. My 'Boot' folder is empty except for 10 small files, none of which is a .scn file. There are no other sub-folders in this 'Boot' folder. Please help! I am desperate to find a way to unhide my main Partition so I can boot into Windows again, and your UBCD is the most likely solution I have come across so far. Do you have any idea why these files may be missing? I have downloaded UBCD from 3 different sources and they are all the same. Cheers.

Constance

#2 Post by Constance » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:21 am

Hmm why don't you just boot on Partition Magic 8 again to re-activate your Win MCE partition ?
BTW, seems strange that you get an error message about this NTLDR file when trying to install WinXP ... are you sure system booted from CD when you tried to install it ?
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

Victor Chew

#3 Post by Victor Chew » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:47 am

The PM8 tutorial is an old one that still refers to UBCD V3.4.

With UBCD V4.0, you should put the PM8 image into the "custom" subdirectory, then edit "custom.cfg" to add the reference to the image.

Take a look at Customizing UBCD for more information.