Please help...

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

BriBoy01

Please help...

#1 Post by BriBoy01 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:02 am

I have an HP laptop that is less than a year old. This morning I tried to boot it and it went into the Windows failed to boot screen and will not boot regardless of what I select. I talked to tech support and they are sending me a replacement hard drive because mine failed the hard drive test in the bios, however there is data on this one I need to get off if at all possible. I have got the ultimate boot cd to boot and explored around but unfortunately I have no idea which direction to go here. Please if anyone can offer any advice at all I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Constance

#2 Post by Constance » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:46 am

What do you mean precisely by "get off it" ?
Erase or recover ?
Can you give more details about what this "hard drive test in the bios" consists of (so we know a bit more precisely what fails with it ^^ ) ?
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

verndog

Re: Please help...

#3 Post by verndog » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:06 am

BriBoy01 wrote:I have an HP laptop that is less than a year old. This morning I tried to boot it and it went into the Windows failed to boot screen and will not boot regardless of what I select. I talked to tech support and they are sending me a replacement hard drive because mine failed the hard drive test in the bios, however there is data on this one I need to get off if at all possible. I have got the ultimate boot cd to boot and explored around but unfortunately I have no idea which direction to go here. Please if anyone can offer any advice at all I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
Is the drive your trying to recover NTFS or FAT?
Does it have multiple partitions?
Use one of the disk tools to find out. If you have ghost tools type
"gdisk 1" at the command prompt. It will tell you what and how many partitions.

BriBoy01

#4 Post by BriBoy01 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:42 am

Sorry about the confusion. By get it off I mean recover it and then remove it from this hard drive before I send it back to HP. It is a NTFS and has no partitions. If I can see it using the tools do you think an adapter to hook it to a desktop as a slave drive would be my best shot? Thanks for any help, Im lost!

Constance

#5 Post by Constance » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:06 am

BriBoy01 wrote:It is a NTFS and has no partitions.
If it has a file system (there, NTFS) then it does have at least one partition...
BriBoy01 wrote:[...] do you think an adapter to hook it to a desktop as a slave drive would be my best shot?
Yes.
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.