help for novice

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

wwagmeister

help for novice

#1 Post by wwagmeister » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:54 am

hi, i have windows xp home that will not reboot, my computer goes to the F8 menu ,whatever i try to select ie restore from last known good configuration,or even safe mode, i press enter the computer tries to reboot i get a very brief blue screen the windows logo and then back to th e F8 menu as if stuck in a loop, what i really want to know is
1 can i used UBCD to ascertain whether my hard disc needs replacing (ie beyond repair)
2i have another computer runnin xp pro but with a smaller processor cud i simply take the hard drive from this one and put it in my broken computer or do i run the risk of damage to this ok hard drive and do i need to make changes to my system
forgot to add i have no xpdiscs or boot discs as i bought these computers second hand please help from one eager to learn novice!!

as702

#2 Post by as702 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:10 am

sounds like it could be a hardware issue (memory perhaps). any idea what the BSOD says? this should help tell you what xp is complaining about.

in answer to your question:

1) there is a range of harddisk diagnostic tools available on the CD (i can't recall a specific one in particular). The menu CD should hopefully direct you in the right direction. you may also want to run memtest in case there is an issue with memory.

2) put simply, i wouldn't advise it since your second computer is most definitely set up to use different hardware drivers. chanes are this approach wouldn't work (and may cause more damage).

wwagmeister

help for novice

#3 Post by wwagmeister » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:30 am

thanx for prompt reply, when the bsod appears it is only for a split second it does have writing on it but what is frustrating is it doesnt give me time to read it.
i will crack on checking the memory next
one step at a time
many thanx wwag