UBCD V5.0b5 is available for download

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Victor Chew

UBCD V5.0b5 is available for download

#1 Post by Victor Chew » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:43 am

UBCD V5.0b5 is now available as a torrent download.

Compared to b4, there have been some pretty major changes, so certain things may not work correctly yet. This is more like a sync point for the developers.

Some of the major changes are:

- Directory layout restructuring
- UBCD FreeDOS V1.32 (with support for "ubcd.ini" config file)
- Parted Magic V3.0 (USB support broken, xfprot doesn't work yet)

Other changes include:

- Usual version updates of various apps
- Added SeaTools for DOS (GUI version), EASEUS Partition Manager, DISKINFO, KEYDisk, DiskSpy, Fujitsu UDMA utility, Fujitsu Change Definition Utility, Fujitsu Erase Utility.
- Improvements to ubcd2iso and ubcd2usb.

Note: I have decided to post each new release in a new thread to keep the discussion specific to that release. Think it's better than having one super long thread.
Last edited by Victor Chew on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

as702

#2 Post by as702 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:02 am

Good work. Downloading now...

(-:

Edit: Finished downloading. The "permission denied" error you see whilst booting FreeDOS will be remedied by the next NwDsk release. I have also sped-up execution speed so you will no longer see a significant delay between finding the *.INI file and launching to menu.

I'll endeavour to push the update out this week.
"If you think things can't get any worse it's probably because you lack sufficient imagination."

as702

#3 Post by as702 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:09 am

Okay, here's a few things I've come across so far...

1) /ubcd/dosapps/UBCD.INI
Change

Code: Select all

diskman4; diskman4.exe console; -$; DISKMAN4 (Low level access tool for BIOS CMOS and HDD)
to

diskman4; "diskman4.exe console"; -$; DISKMAN4 (Low level access tool for BIOS CMOS and HDD)
(notice the quotes). If you're ever sending parameters to the .exe file, always ensure field 2 is given in quotes. To avoid confusion, it may be wise to invoke quotation marks on all items in field 2 to further remind users.

Change..

aida16; startup.bat; -$; AIDA15 (System information and benchmarking tool)
to

aida16; aida.exe; -$; AIDA15 (System information and benchmarking tool)
Always ensure the target binary is declared in field 2; RUNAPP.BAT needs this parameter to find the corresponding archive. The STARTUP.BAT file in the said archive will launch regardless.

Also, modify the header so it reads...

[Version]
 Signature = $Ubcd$
[Settings]
 MenuType = 2
NwDsk can calculate the remaining variables (in NwDsk R1.33 FINAL you should be able to delete "MenuType" also).

You might also consider tab-formatting UBCD.INI so to allow users to easily read/navigate the file.

2)Update the FreeDOS image
R1.33B beta (UBCD 5.0b5 only)

This addresses the issues I outlined in my earlier post.
"If you think things can't get any worse it's probably because you lack sufficient imagination."

Victor Chew

#4 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:36 am

(notice the quotes). If you're ever sending parameters to the .exe file, always ensure field 2 is given in quotes.
Done!
Always ensure the target binary is declared in field 2; RUNAPP.BAT needs this parameter to find the corresponding archive.
Done! I also change it for ata24, ata245 and chgdef. Also corrected the desc in UBCD.INI (should be AIDA16, not AIDA15).
NwDsk can calculate the remaining variables (in NwDsk R1.33 FINAL you should be able to delete "MenuType" also).
I left the "version" value in because the folks who suggested working on a UBCD customizer app might want to use it to determine the UBCD version. They emailed me earlier about this, and I told them I will include a "version.txt" in the "ubcd" subdir, but since ubcd.ini is now available, I thought might as well use that.
You might also consider tab-formatting UBCD.INI so to allow users to easily read/navigate the file.
I know this one will come up. :D Sorry to disappoint you, but I like it this way. I am I am weird, but I am wired to like things compact. You should see some of the C code I write!
Update the FreeDOS image
In the process of downloading...

Icecube

#5 Post by Icecube » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:39 am

Change /ubcd/boot/cputres to /ubcd/boot/cpustres.
Work around for people who don't want to remaster the iso but want to test it anyway:
Press [TAB] when you are at the menu items of the CPU submenu (CPUstress, CPUburn-in, CPUinfo, Mersenne prime test, StressCPU2 or Help) and delete the s in the commandline so it looks like cputres.

Delete /ubcd/boot/antivir/isolinux.cfg and /ubcd/boot/antivirus/welcome.msg:
You only can see that you can choose to boot from the hard drive (not very usefull or to boot antivir, so it is better to include the launch option straight in others.cfg
kernel /ubcd/boot/antivir/vmlinuz
append vga=769 initrd=/ubcd/boot/antivir/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=83068 root=/dev/ram0 rw console=/dev/vc/4
If you want to keep it like it is now, change some // to / in the isolinux.cfg file.

Change /ubcd/boot/offline/isolinux.cfg (some references to /offline instead of /ubcd/boot/offline/) to:
serial 0 19200
default boot
display /ubcd/boot/offline/boot.msg
timeout 250
prompt 1
label boot
kernel /ubcd/boot/offline/vmlinuz
append rw vga=1 init=/linuxrc initrd=/ubcd/boot/offline/initrd.cgz,/ubcd/boot/offline/scsi.cgz
#console=ttyS0
Change /ubcd/menus/main.cfg to:
MENU INCLUDE /ubcd/menus/defaults.cfg
DEFAULT menu.c32
PROMPT 0

F1 /ubcd/menus/pmagic1.hlp
F2 /ubcd/menus/pmagic2.hlp

LABEL -
MENU LABEL System
KERNEL menu.c32
APPEND /ubcd/menus/system.cfg

LABEL -
MENU LABEL CPU
KERNEL menu.c32
APPEND /ubcd/menus/cpu.cfg

LABEL -
MENU LABEL Memory
KERNEL menu.c32
APPEND /ubcd/menus/memory.cfg

LABEL -
MENU LABEL HDD
KERNEL menu.c32
APPEND /ubcd/menus/hdd.cfg

LABEL -
MENU LABEL BIOS
KERNEL menu.c32
APPEND /ubcd/menus/bios.cfg

LABEL -
MENU LABEL Peripherals
KERNEL menu.c32
APPEND /ubcd/menus/periph.cfg

LABEL -
MENU LABEL Others
KERNEL menu.c32
APPEND /ubcd/menus/others.cfg

LABEL -
MENU LABEL Parted Magic V3.0 (LiveCD) - Press F1 for more information
TEXT HELP
Linux distro for manipulating partitions (eg. create, resize). Includes
TestDisk, PhotoRec, Partition Image, Firefox, F-Prot Virus Scanner (fpscan/
fpupdate) etc. Capable of reading/writing NTFS partitions and external USB
storage devices. Requires 512MB RAM.
ENDTEXT
CONFIG /pmagic/isolinux.cfg

LABEL -
MENU LABEL Parted Magic V3.0 (LiveUSB) - Press F1 for more information
TEXT HELP
Same as above. Use this option if you are booting from a USB memory sticks
instead of a CD.
ENDTEXT
CONFIG /pmagic/syslinux.cfg

LABEL -
MENU LABEL UBCD FreeDOS (NwDsk V3.40, R1.32)
TEXT HELP
FreeDOS boot disk used to run many of the other DOS apps on the UBCD. Revised
version of Eric Veermans' FreeDOS NwDsk 3.42. Addresses many bug fixes,
performance enhancements and compatibility issues.
ENDTEXT
KERNEL memdisk
APPEND initrd=/ubcd/images/fdubcd.igz

LABEL -
MENU LABEL User-defined
KERNEL menu.c32
APPEND /ubcd/menus/custom.cfg

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL -
MENU LABEL Boot next device
TEXT HELP
Boot next device in the boot sequence. Supporting BIOS required. May not work
with all systems.
ENDTEXT
LOCALBOOT -1

LABEL -
MENU LABEL Reboot
TEXT HELP
Reboot the PC
ENDTEXT
KERNEL reboot.c32
You have to add reboot.c32 from the syslinux package to /syslinux and /isolinux.
The MENU SEPARATOR will display a blank line that gets skipped when navigating trough the menu. It makes it easier to separate the UBCD part of the local boot and reboot option.
Last edited by Icecube on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

as702

#6 Post by as702 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:43 am

Victor Chew wrote:I left the "version" value in because the folks who suggested working on a UBCD customizer app might want to use it to determine the UBCD version. They emailed me earlier about this, and I told them I will include a "version.txt" in the "ubcd" subdir, but since ubcd.ini is now available, I thought might as well use that.
Just so we're clear, I'll have NwDsk configured to read only the following settings...

[Version]
 Signature = $Ubcd$
 Version = <INSERT HERE>
Victor Chew wrote:
I know this one will come up. :D Sorry to disappoint you, but I like it this way. I am I am weird, but I am wired to like things compact. You should see some of the C code I write!
Each to their own. For the record, it looks a bloody mess. q-:
Update the FreeDOS image
In the process of downloading...
I wouldn't dwell too much on this. R1.33 FINAL is shaping up quite nicely. I've further managed to speed up *.INI parsing by assigning the fetched values as parameters instead of environmental variables...

R1.32 (elegant, but slow as AIDS...)
n iterations, where n=number of entries

set _i=0
set _j=0
call var set _m=lines %tmp%\_ubcd.bak
mkdir %tmp%\~main
:_loop_i
  call var set _i=(%_i%+1)
  linex %_i% <%tmp%\_ubcd.bak | nset _cat=$0
  inifile %djdir%\programs.cfg [%_cat%] | lmod /l* /s [$2:$!]>%tmp%\_ubcd.dat
  call var set _n=lines %tmp%\_ubcd.dat
  @rem pause
    :_loop_j
      call var set _j=(%_j%+1)
      lmod /l%_j% /s; @set _app=[$4:$!][+]@set _appcmd=[$2][+]@set _apparc=[$1][+]@set _appmnu=[$3]<%tmp%\_ubcd.dat >%tmp%\~main\_ubcd.bat
      call %tmp%\~main\_ubcd.bat
      ren %tmp%\~main\_ubcd.bat %_apparc%.bat
    @rem pause
    if "%_j%"=="%_n%" goto _end_j
    goto _loop_j
    :_end_j
     for %%i in (_j _n) do set %%i=
  if "%_i%"=="%_m%" goto _end_i
  goto _loop_i
:_end_i
R1.33b
5 iterations

lmod /l* /s; echo @set _app=[$4:$!][~62][~62]%ramdrv%\main\[$1].bat<%tmp%\_ubcd.tmp >%tmp%\_ubcd.bat
lmod /l* /s; echo @set _appcmd=[$2][~62][~62]%ramdrv%\main\[$1].bat<%tmp%\_ubcd.tmp >>%tmp%\_ubcd.bat
lmod /l* /s; echo @set _apparc=[$1][~62][~62]%ramdrv%\main\[$1].bat<%tmp%\_ubcd.tmp >>%tmp%\_ubcd.bat
lmod /l* /s; echo @set _append=[$3][~62][~62]%ramdrv%\main\[$1].bat<%tmp%\_ubcd.tmp >>%tmp%\_ubcd.bat
lmod /l* /s; echo @runapp.bat[~62][~62]%ramdrv%\main\[$1].bat<%tmp%\_ubcd.tmp >>%tmp%\_ubcd.bat
R1.33FINAL
1 iteration

lmod /l* /s; echo @runa.bat "[$3]" "[$1]" "[$2]" "[$4:$!]"[~62][~62]%ramdrv%\main\[$1].bat<%tmp%\_ubcd.tmp >>%tmp%\_ubcd.bat
I've had to modify RUNAPP.BAT (which I've now decided to name RUNA.BAT), but it's much faster using this approach.

Icecube

#7 Post by Icecube » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:29 am

as702 wrote:
Victor Chew wrote:
Each to their own. For the record, it looks a bloody mess. q-:
I agree, TABs instead of spaces would be nice.

Also some comments inside UBCD.INI which explains what each column does, would be nice.
[HDD Device Info and Management]
uata100; uata100.exe; -$; UATA100 (Set ATA data transfer mode for Seagate HDDs)
amset; amset.exe; -$$; AMSET (Acoustic management tool for Maxtor HDDs)
esfeat; esfeat.exe; -$$; ExcelStor ESFEAT (Device management tool for ExcelStor HDDs)
atapwd; atapwd.exe; -$; ATAPWD (ATA HDD password unlocker)
atainf; atainf.exe; -$; ATAINF (Info viewer for ATA/ATAPI/SCSI HDD/CDROM drives)
smartudm; smartudm.exe; -$; SMARTUDM (Tool for viewing HDD SMART values)
diskinfo; startup.bat; -$; DISKINFO (Display BIOS and ATA details of your drives)
ata24; startup.bat; -$$; UDMA Utility (for Fujitsu MPD/MPE/MPF series HDDs)
ata245; startup.bat; -$$; UDMA Utility (for Fujitsu MPG series HDDs)
chgdef2; startup.bat; -$$; Change Definition Utility (for Fujitsu M16xx/M2915 HDDs)
What does column 3? Why is it sometimes -$$ and sometimes -$?
@ as702 can you describe what each column means?

as702

#8 Post by as702 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:07 am

Icecube wrote:What does column 3? Why is it sometimes -$$ and sometimes -$?
Non sequitur definition:

-$  = randomly decides whether or not to format any available partition.
-$$ = emails your IP address to the official "Hannah Montana Fanclub"
In fact, all it does is pass a parameter to the main UBCD launch menu. "-$" tells the application to pause (press any key to continue) before returning to the main menu. "-$$" simply tells it to not return to the menu and exit to the command prompt (useful if the application in question is command-line driven). "-" will immediately default back to our menu.

(-:
Icecube wrote:Also some comments inside UBCD.INI which explains what each column does, would be nice...can you describe what each column means?
Agreed. As you can see from NwDsk R1.32, I began typing out a README.TXT file attempting to explain all that crap (I got bored with it and haven't had much time of late to finish it entirely).

I should also post a tutorial for users which should help explain all the various nuances. In the meantime, I'll quickly attempt a wheelbarrow explanation of how the *.INI file works...

Example:

;(use ";" to comment)
;
[Version]
 Signature         = $Ubcd$
 Version           = 5.0b.5
;Version           = 4.1.1
;.............................................................................................
;
[Category 1]
fjdt     ;fjdt.exe			;-  ;Fujitsu ATA Diagnostic Tool 7.00 (Fujitsu)
This is how the header should look...

;(use ";" to comment)
;
[Version]
 Signature         = $Ubcd$
 Version           = 5.0b.5
;Version           = 4.1.1
;.............................................................................................
;
"Signature" is used as a search parameter by NwDsk in order to locate the file (the advantage being you can place or name the *.INI file to anywhere or anything you desire). This should NEVER be edited/removed.

"Version" is pretty self-explanatory.

Beneath the header is where we list ALL our dosapps which, in turn, are used to dynamically generate our batch files, help commands and WBAT interface.

;
[Category 1]
Lines given in parenthesis denote the category in which our dosapp is stored within our menu...

;
Field 1 declares the name of the archive (minus extension) or directory of our dosapp. In this example, the name of our app is "fjdt". On the CD, this should exist as one of the following...
/<PATH>/fjdt.cab
/<PATH>/fjdt.zip
/<PATH>/fjdt.uha
/<PATH>/fjdt.lzh
/<PATH>/fjdt.7z
/<PATH>/fjdt.rar
/<PATH>/fjdt/
"<PATH>" can be anything you like. In our case, it is "/ubcd/dosapps/".

;
Field 2 donates the command to be run (by default, this should contain the target binary found within the corresponding dosapp archive/directory). This field also accepts parameters for the target binary in question (for example, "fjdt.exe /?").

This field is quite important since NwDsk uses this target binary to not only luanch the application, but to also discern the correct archive to unpack/directory to follow should an instance arise where duplicate archives/directories are discovered.

Field 3 I've explained.

Field 4 simply denotes the dosapp title.

Victor Chew

#9 Post by Victor Chew » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:38 pm

@Icecube:

Thanks! I am implemented all your suggestions.

gristle

#10 Post by gristle » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:46 am

Hi,

I'm still really new to all this but, wanted to say thanks for all the hard work. Just downloaded and installed UBCD V5.0b5 on a 1Gb flash drive. Works perfectly to boot a toshiba satellite l355-s7812 with the core 2 duo processor (t5550 1.83 GHz) Haven't tried t on the desktop (asus) yet.

Had a little trouble with the 4.11 version on the flash drive but, as this is the newest version it's better anyway.

Posted a link in "resources & links" for a site with lots of pendrive apps. that may be integrated or used to customize.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work.

....gristle

Icecube

#11 Post by Icecube » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:08 am

@ Victor
Can you show the webpage for UBCD50 with all the applications that are included. Provide a link. Do you have listed the applications that are included in Parted Magic?

Icecube

#12 Post by Icecube » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:42 am

I have update xfprot and clamav. I also added some checks and information about how to update the definition files.
See: viewtopic.php?p=5691#5691.

It would be nice if someone would test it. It doesn't require that you burn a new CD. If you already burned the UBCD50B5 iso to a CD you can test it by ust placing those files on your hard drive. See the link above for more information.

I am glad that it finally out of the door :D.

To all people who have an USB keyboard: Can you test the cpustress image?

deadlite couldn't use its wireless keyboard, I like to know if an USB keyboard works or not. If nobody helps, I probably can't fix it.

See the first post from me on this topic to know which programs to test and how you have to start them (wrong folder name in UBCD50beta5).

More info about the cpustress image: viewtopic.php?t=1476.
Last edited by Icecube on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Victor Chew

#13 Post by Victor Chew » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:47 pm

@ Victor
Can you show the webpage for UBCD50 with all the applications that are included. Provide a link. Do you have listed the applications that are included in Parted Magic?
I don't have one yet! :D

Normally, I will update the list when I am ready to release.

But it is probably a good idea to have one for UBCD50 so that you guys can vet through it.

Will work on it and post the link when it is ready.

W3ird_N3rd

#14 Post by W3ird_N3rd » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:02 pm

I downloaded it, looks like it works but it still has DBAN 1.0.7. I would love it if dban-beta.2007042900 would be added to the UBCD. Because now I need a CD with the DBAN beta to wipe disks and the UBCD for everything else. The problem is DBAN 1.0.7 does not support most recent computers, on my Asrock 939SLI32 mainboard it's insanely slow (2MB/s or so), on my MSI AMD 690G board no disks are detected at all. DBAN beta solves this, and according to the author it's "production quality, but it never got tagged.".

Btw keep up the great work, I use the UBCD quite often. :)

Icecube

#15 Post by Icecube » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Victor Chew wrote:
@ Victor
Will work on it and post the link when it is ready.
Have you worked on this already or not? Look also at the beef drape version of Parted Magic, it contains a lot more programs than Parted Magic 3.0.

I have convinced Patrick Verner (Parted Magic) to include an isolinux option (I did have to write it myself :D) which makes it possible to use the same entries for booting from a cd or from usb so that we need only one entry for Parted Magic in main.cfg.

See: http://partedmagic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=236

You have to replace livecd with liveall in the isolinux.cfg file of Parted Magic:
LABEL normal
MENU LABEL ^1. Default settings (Runs from RAM / Ejects CD)
TEXT HELP
* version: 3.1, (C) 2008, Patrick Verner
* http://www.partedmagic.com
* Disclaimer: Author excluded from any liability.
ENDTEXT
KERNEL /pmagic/bzImage
APPEND noapic initrd=/pmagic/initrd root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc keymap=us liveall vga=791 sleep=0 quiet tmpfs_size=350M ramdisk_size=25000
If you set the keymap command to set your keyboard layout for Parted Magic(Press TAB at the bootmenu of Parted Magic, press F2 to see the possibilities), test the Failsafe Settings entry and see if you have chosen the right keyboard layout.

If it works correctly, boot in one of the graphical modes and test with which test you have to complete the setxkbmap command (most of the time it will be something similar to the extension of the domain names of your country: e.g.: be for Belgium, fr for France, uk for the United Kingdom).

For me this is:

setxkbmap be
Post the information here for your keyboard layout so I can pass it to the Parted Magic forum or post it there yourself.
Post it at: viewtopic.php?t=1580
Or at: http://partedmagic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=213
Currently only 2 keyboard layouts are supported (be and se).
If you want that you can use your keyboard normally in Parted Magic, test it so that it can be included in Parted Magic 3.1.

Suspected release date of Parted Magic 3.1 will be within 3 weeks from now.

The beefdrapes of Parted Magic can be found at: http://partedmagic.com/beef_drapes/

Icecube

Parted Magic 3.1 Release Candidate 1

#16 Post by Icecube » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:09 am

Parted Magic 3.1 Release Candidate 1 is out:
http://partedmagic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... f2aa372b51

Victor Chew

#17 Post by Victor Chew » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:39 am

@W3ird_N3rd:

dban-beta.2007042900 seems good. I have replaced V1.07 in UBCD V5.0b6.

Thanks!

PsiMoon314

#18 Post by PsiMoon314 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:46 am

Hi Victor,

If you have not already looked at it then you might also want to include SecureErase from:

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

This tool uses the drives own secure overwrite commands to delete data from the drive itself, including a Secure Erase option.

This utility has been updated to v4.0 on 20th Sepember 2008. The latest readme is here:

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/HDDEraseReadMe.txt

Kind Regards

Simon

damage

powermax

#19 Post by damage » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:17 am

Menu looking for powmx423 but you spelled the image powermax.

ferdnyc

#20 Post by ferdnyc » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:15 am

Icecube wrote: To all people who have an USB keyboard: Can you test the cpustress image?

deadlite couldn't use its wireless keyboard, I like to know if an USB keyboard works or not. If nobody helps, I probably can't fix it.

See the first post from me on this topic to know which programs to test and how you have to start them (wrong folder name in UBCD50beta5).

More info about the cpustress image: viewtopic.php?t=1476.
I forgot to mention -- I did eventually sit down to test this, and was unable to use the image with the bog-standard Acer wired USB keyboard that came free with this computer. So it's definitely a wider problem than just wireless. (Which SHOULD be basically indistinguishable from wired USB keyboards on an "input-device" level, so that makes sense.)

I was unable to find a set of kernel options that made it work, tho I admit I didn't try very hard.