Windows XP Home addtion

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Bernie

Windows XP Home addtion

#1 Post by Bernie » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:51 am

I am looking at using the UBCD to reformat my home computer that uses XP Home Edition. I had to reload windows one other time, and found out that Home Edition does not have the Fdisk option.

Will I be able to reload Windows XP Home Edition after I wipe the hard-drive clean? Is there any serial number issues that will prevent me from loading XP Home? In worse case I will reload Windows 2000.

Thank you in advance,
Bernie

CleaverX

I want my WIN XP!!!!

#2 Post by CleaverX » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:13 pm

Bernie......
I assume you have either a retail or an oem version of XP.
Either way it does not matter, just make sure you pc is set to boot from the CD first, then pop your XP disk in the drive and reboot.
Follow the prompts to a new installation, and eventually you will be asked what kind of formatting you want done. The XP setup routine will then format your drive, and then install XP on your new clean partition.
Make sure before you start that you have all the XP driver that apply to your system. As far as your key code in case you need to reactivate your brand new install, it should be on your disk packaging, or on a sticker on the side of your PC. If neither is the case, then use a freeware utility to extract it from you current install, and write it down somewhere safe.
This should be the order: Install XP; Install SP2 and all applicable updates; Install drivers; install antivirus and anty-spyware; ghost an image of your fresh install, (just in case) and place it somewhere safe; enjoy!!!
Hope this helps

CleaverX

zcat

Re: Windows XP Home addtion

#3 Post by zcat » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:42 pm

Bernie wrote:I am looking at using the UBCD to reformat my home computer that uses XP Home Edition. I had to reload windows one other time, and found out that Home Edition does not have the Fdisk option.
Windows XP doesn't have an 'fdisk' the way earlier versions do, but it does (or should) present a dialog at some point asking what partition you want to install Windows XP onto. At this point you can delete or change the existing partition(s).

Press <del> or ctrl-D (or something like that; it lists the options on the screen somewhere) then follow the instructions EXACTLY - you're asked to press several very non-obvious keys and just pressing enter will immediately abort the process. Once you've done that you can install on the 'free space', or create a new partition if you don't want to use the whole disk.