problems booting from CD

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

MCopps

problems booting from CD

#1 Post by MCopps » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:35 pm

I installed Grub from the UBCD about 6 months ago and installed solaris on one partition and vista on another. I never really got it to work and since I had a new computer already, I just put that one in the garage. I'm now trying to set up a server at home and load windows server 2003 to it but can't get the PC to boot from any CD. I tried a new UBCD, UBUNTU Server and my windows server 2003 disks and nothing. It just keeps trying to load Solaris. I went in to the bios and made sure that CD was set to boot first. I even unplugged the hard drive in an attempt to just boot from the UBUNTU Disk, but no luck. I kept getting an error that the PC was looking for the GRUB software. Please let me know if anyone knows a good fix to undo whatever GRUB did. Thanks.

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:31 am

You only can get the GRUB error if the PC boots from the hard drive. Does this PC have 2 hard disks?
Are you sure that the CD or DVD drive of that old pc still works? If it doesn't work, the BIOS thinks that there is no media in the CD drive and will try to boot the next device (hard drive).

Does it has a floppy drive? if so you can remove the GRUB leftovers on the hard disk.