best way to copy failing hard drive

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

medionwoes

best way to copy failing hard drive

#1 Post by medionwoes » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:52 pm

I'm very new to this type of maneuvering and am quite unfamiliar with bootable cd's,dos etc. I'm trying to get my extra xp pc with a failing hard drive going. I bought a Sata pci card (since the pc having problems uses the older style pata hd) and a new larger sata hard drive. I watched the helpful youtube video and created the UBCD ISO and hope to create an exact copy of the old hard drive (I'm hoping it will work long enough for me to do this) since I like the way the programs are set up. Could someone tell me what I should do after putting in the UBCD ISO to get the pci sata controller recognized and then the new hard drive to copy the old one? I'm trying to avoid a fresh install of xp and hoped to use the copy of the old hard drive for that. Thanks

nilram

#2 Post by nilram » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:48 pm

UBCD is fantastic, and I've been using it extensively as I am attempting to recover from a recent crash. However, the tool I found most useful for copying from one disk to another is clonezilla (http://www.clonezilla.org). It's also a live boot CD. Good luck.