Bios password

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Andrew025

Bios password

#1 Post by Andrew025 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:13 pm

I have a computer that has a password on the bios and I don't know what it is. I tried to use to bios tools on the disk but I don't know how to use them. Anyone wanna help me out?

The Piney

#2 Post by The Piney » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:42 pm

If this is a desktop system, you can just use a jumper across the reset pins or disconnect the battery for a bit..

If it's a laptop you may be able to do the same, but some will not work with this process..

StopSpazzing

#3 Post by StopSpazzing » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:31 pm

The Piney wrote:If this is a desktop system, you can just use a jumper across the reset pins or disconnect the battery for a bit..

If it's a laptop you may be able to do the same, but some will not work with this process..
MOST computers should work if you do this. Easiest way is to use a cmos reset jumper and remove battery. But normally only newer hardware has such conveniences. On other hardware, you just need to make sure its disconnected from any power and shut off the power supply and unplug it from the wall, aswell as remove the cmos battery and if its a laptop you will have to open it and remove it (the cmos battery [normally a small penny shaped, plastic coated battery with 2 wires, red and black, coming out of it]) and then remove the battery from the laptop. Should leave it sit for a few hours...normally I would do it for a full day.

The other option that I have not tried before so dont know how well it works is: http://www.pccmos.com/
Its another program that I have not tried from the same people that created pcloginnow!. Im sure it uses the same files as pclogin now...so you can easily add it to your ubcd build by following the instructions here: viewtopic.php?t=1576&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

sunnysmith70

#4 Post by sunnysmith70 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:11 am

Hi Andrew025,

If you cannot access the machine after if has been powered up, it is still possible to get past the BIOS password. The BIOS password is stored in CMOS memory that is maintained while the PC is powered off by a small battery, which is attached to the motherboard. If you remove this battery, all CMOS information (including the BIOS password) will be lost. You will need to re-enter the correct CMOS setup information to use the machine. The machines owner or user will most likely be alarmed when it is discovered that the BIOS password has been deleted.