unmountable boot vol

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

SteveinVa

unmountable boot vol

#1 Post by SteveinVa » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:53 pm

I've read just about every bit of information I could find in the subject but frankly I'm stumped. I tried the UBCD but although it runs fine, I cannot get it to boot my computer.

I have a Compaq v6000tx with XP pro. When I try to boot from the recovery (or restore--whatever they're called) discs and choose 'R' it takes several minutes then gives me the option to restore to factory setup. I don't want to lose my data!!

The Piney

#2 Post by The Piney » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:44 am

Usually you will have options to do a destructive reload or just a reload which will keep your data..

The issue though is, what is causing the unmountable boot volume problem.. What have you done recently, just before it started giving you problems.. Give as much information as possible so I and others can help as best we can..

Can you boot to parted magic and see the boot disk / partition? If you can, just back up all your data and do a complete/clean install/recovery...

SteveinVa

#3 Post by SteveinVa » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks for yoy reply. I had removed the hardrive a few times while I worked on another one. But I always shut it down.

The Piney

#4 Post by The Piney » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:50 pm

Make sure none of the pins are bent if it's a PATA.

SteveinVa

#5 Post by SteveinVa » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:32 am

So I can create a new partition on the drive and use my setup discs to install the operating system on a different parition, then access my data?

The Piney

#6 Post by The Piney » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:18 pm

No, what I was referring to is the Compaq restore partition, if you press F10 while booting you can restore the Operating System to factory default. When you do a restore you can usually select to do a full format and restore or just restore the system and keep the user data.

When you boot the UBCD disc, do you get the menu? If so, can you start anything like the Parted Magic or other utilities?

SteveinVa

#7 Post by SteveinVa » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:07 pm

I get the menu and I've tried to use a few of the utilities but keep running into a dead end. Like I said before, when I chose the recover option, it takes me to a menu that says something to the effect that 'all your data will be lost'

While running one of the programs (I can'r remember which one-I've been trying for a while) I would eventually get to a C: prompt but when I enter 'dir' it says volume in drive C is 0, volume in D is Presario ........ I've tried using rhe 'chkdsk' and 'fixboot' commands but it says they are invalid cmds

Thanks for your time. I just wish there was one program on the disc that worked for my situation.

SteveinVa

#8 Post by SteveinVa » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:39 pm

Its working. I ran the seagate utility and it repaired a bad sector or something. Thanks