UBCD5RC1 third party apps cause kernel panic using grub4dos

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

kcarney

UBCD5RC1 third party apps cause kernel panic using grub4dos

#1 Post by kcarney » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:33 am

So I decided that it was time to let the plugins for my third party tools also be usable when using grub4dos. This was not as easy as I expected it to be. First I ran syslinux2grub4dos to create the entries in custom.lst, built and tested.. no dice. Gave an error regarding loading kernel first, don't remember exactly it was days ago.

Code: Select all

title Acronis ^Disk Director Suite 10.0\n Acronis Disk Director Suite brings together the most popular disk management\n functions, partition recovery tool, and boot disk manager.
KERNEL /ubcd/custom/adds/kernel.dat
APPEND rw initrd=/ubcd/custom/adds/ramdisk.dat /S ramdisk_size=32000 mbrcrcs=on vga=791 quiet
That one was an easy fix, grub4dos doesn't like when 'kerne'l is capitalized. So I fixed that, built and retested.

Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00

That is my result, I have tried using quiet, acpi=off and noacpi with no change. The tests are identical for all 6 of my varied acronis and paragon utilities.

Ideas?

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:24 pm

UBCD50RC1 uses the new Syslinux syntax.
It uses LINUX instead of KERNEL and INITRD on a separate line instead of on the APPEND line as "initrd=".

You used something like this:

LABEL -
MENU LABEL Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0
TEXT HELP
 Acronis Disk Director Suite brings together the most popular disk management
 functions, partition recovery tool, and boot disk manager.
ENDTEXT
KERNEL /ubcd/custom/adds/kernel.dat
APPEND rw initrd=/ubcd/custom/adds/ramdisk.dat /S ramdisk_size=32000 mbrcrcs=on vga=791 quiet
Your syslinux menu entry in custom.cfg, should be:

LABEL -
MENU LABEL Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0
TEXT HELP
 Acronis Disk Director Suite brings together the most popular disk management
 functions, partition recovery tool, and boot disk manager.
ENDTEXT
LINUX /ubcd/custom/adds/kernel.dat
INITRD /ubcd/custom/adds/ramdisk.dat
APPEND rw /S ramdisk_size=32000 mbrcrcs=on vga=791 quiet
My syslinux2grub4dos script isn't smart enough (or I am not :P) to handle the old syntax too. I tried it, but all my config files where messed up, so I stopped with it.

Running the script now, should give the following Grub4dos syntax:

title Acronis ^Disk Director Suite 10.0\n Acronis Disk Director Suite brings together the most popular disk management\n functions, partition recovery tool, and boot disk manager.
kernel /ubcd/custom/adds/kernel.dat rw /S ramdisk_size=32000 mbrcrcs=on vga=791 quiet
initrd /ubcd/custom/adds/ramdisk.dat
You got the "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00" message because grub4dos didn't load the initrd file. Grub4dos doesn't understand the APPEND line, it uses a 'kernel' line which contains the kernel filename, which you want load and the parameters that you want to pass to the kernel (the values that are on the APPEND line in syslinux syntax, execpt the initrd= part), and an 'initrd' line, which will load the initrd file.
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

kcarney

#3 Post by kcarney » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:48 pm

Thank you. I'll give it a try with the new syslinux syntax, I'll let you know within the hour!

EDIT:

Worked like magic, I can't tell you how long I was banging my head against the wall on this one lol

I do appreciate the help

Icecube

#4 Post by Icecube » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:14 pm

Happy to help :D.
In the future, you can look at the syslinux config files in /ubcd/menus/syslinux to understand the syntax better.
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

kcarney

#5 Post by kcarney » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:29 pm

My third party plugins were used in 4x probably 3x untouched and it honestly didn't occur to me that syslinux syntax had changed in 5. I'll keep that in mind though for next time.

Thank you again