update download sites for ubcd 5 actual/real final version

Discussion/announcements about test/beta releases of UBCD will be posted here.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

ady

update download sites for ubcd 5 actual/real final version

#1 Post by ady » Mon May 17, 2010 6:25 am

I was wondering, about the 2 ubcd 5.0.0 versions available for download.

The following is just an example of what I was wondering about.

On 2010-May-10, majorgeeks updated the downloadable version, from the 3-years-old 4.1.1 version to the "new" 5.0.0.

But then there is the actual final FINAL 5.0.0 version, which differs from that of 2010-may-10, uploaded 3 days after that.

In the meantime, the "news" webpage
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/news.html

HAD not been updated, and stated that the 5.0.0 final version was published May 10th. It took several days, but the "news" page is now updated to reflect the actual final FINAL 5.0.0 ubcd. The previous announcement (2010-May-10) was deleted.

But here's the thing: majorgeeks (and maybe other sites too) still declares ubcd 5.0.0 last updated on May 10th.

So I was wondering if that version at majorgeeks (and its mirrors, and probably some other sites) is the actual final FINAL 5.0.0, or the one published the 10th.

Since the version number is the same, it is possible majorgeeks is distributing the "previous" 5.0.0, not longer valid.

I would like to suggest for future versions, add some kind of parameter to distinguish 2 different versions; like a "build" number, or change the last digit (like 5.0.1.), or add the day and time to the filename (ubcd500_20100514.iso).

The last filename suggestion would be specially useful for torrents' filenames (not only for the iso filename). Think about users downloading the previous 5.0.0 not-final version using bitorrent, just because they see 2 torrents listed with the same name and pick out to download the "not-updated" one.

There "must" be always a way to pick out the actual final version before downloadind it.

I hope I was clear enough. Thank you in advance.

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Mon May 17, 2010 12:36 pm

So I was wondering if that version at majorgeeks (and its mirrors, and probably some other sites) is the actual final FINAL 5.0.0, or the one published the 10th.
I am not sure. Only the MD5 will tell. The final FINAL release was released on 14 May, not 10 May.
I would like to suggest for future versions, add some kind of parameter to distinguish 2 different versions; like a "build" number, or change the last digit (like 5.0.1.), or add the day and time to the filename (ubcd500_20100514.iso).
Thanks for the suggestion! I will keep it in mind for subsequent releases.

ady

#3 Post by ady » Tue May 18, 2010 4:03 am

Victor Chew wrote:
I am not sure. Only the MD5 will tell. The final FINAL release was released on 14 May, not 10 May.
@Victor, that's the point. Majorgeeks (and most popular download sites) won't publish the MD5, nor any other hash. And even if they do, the MD5 will match, since the download is the "correct" iso you published (on May 10th).

So you see, the "simple" user could check the MD5 (if the download site published it on May 10th together with the iso or the torrent) and it will be ok. Only the users who were careful enough to get into the UBCD forum after May 14th could potentially note that there is an actual final FINAL 5.0.0.

Moreover, the "news" page states ubcd 5.0.0 as released on May 14th, but the "history" page still has it as of May 10th. So people searching the torrent to download could be in trouble. How a simple user would know the final version is the one released on the 14th, not the 10th?

I guess most users just download the file. A group of them checked the MD5 (which should be relevant to that file anyway). A very little percentage of those actually checked the forum. Some of those that did check the forum, went to the announcement category after the 14th and realised there is a final FINAL 5.0.0 version.

Maybe you could release a "new" 5.0.1 version, actually being equal to the final FINAL version you published on May 14th? Explaining the issue at the news, history and download pages, and also at the forum, will "force" simple users to see the update, specially if you send an email (or sth) updating the sites where you first published the previous 5.0.0 (not the final, but that of May 10th). Then those sites will update the file (and the MD5) to the real final version. Just a thought.

Victor Chew

#4 Post by Victor Chew » Tue May 18, 2010 1:16 pm

Moreover, the "news" page states ubcd 5.0.0 as released on May 14th, but the "history" page still has it as of May 10th. So people searching the torrent to download could be in trouble. How a simple user would know the final version is the one released on the 14th, not the 10th?
I have updated the history page to change the release date to the correct one.
Maybe you could release a "new" 5.0.1 version, actually being equal to the final FINAL version you published on May 14th? Explaining the issue at the news, history and download pages, and also at the forum, will "force" simple users to see the update, specially if you send an email (or sth) updating the sites where you first published the previous 5.0.0 (not the final, but that of May 10th). Then those sites will update the file (and the MD5) to the real final version. Just a thought.
I will be working on a V5.0.1 this weekend, so this issue should be resolved.

BTW, why's Majorgeeks mirroring UBCD without proper communication with the project leads?

Do you know of other websites with this issue but not on the mirror list?

ady

#5 Post by ady » Wed May 19, 2010 6:14 am

Victor Chew wrote: BTW, why's Majorgeeks mirroring UBCD without proper communication with the project leads?

Do you know of other websites with this issue but not on the mirror list?
I have no idea why. I suppose you should be asking them. I have no connection with Majorgeeks. Moreover, I got the news about ubcd 5 published in Majorgeeks while reading Gizmo's freeware reviews ( http://www.techsupportalert.com ) . To be perfectly clear, I'm not marketing or promoting Gizmo nor Majorgeeks. I'm just posting what I read there, and trying to help here.

Just the same as a user of this forum decides to mirror the downloads (I read at least one or two posts about it), I guess someone could have comment about ubcd 5.0.0 at Gizmo's forum, or maybe Majorgeeks received some news from RSS? No idea really.

ady

#6 Post by ady » Sun May 23, 2010 11:53 am

Victor Chew wrote:Do you know of other websites with this issue but not on the mirror list?
http://www.freewarebb.com/Ultimate-Boot ... e1907.html