VOLKOV COMMANDER Bad Sectors

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

davey1971

VOLKOV COMMANDER Bad Sectors

#1 Post by davey1971 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:02 pm

Hello,

I have a drive that has bad Sectors and I want to copy my files and folders to another drive, I would like to use VOLKOV COMMANDER, because it retains the Long File Names. When I use VOLKOV COMMANDER and I try to read the drive, it says it can't read it. I press the Enter Key and it tries again and is able to read the Drive. I am able to copy files and folders from the bad drive to a good drive.

The problem is, every time it tries to copy a Folder or File, VOLKOV COMMANDER tries to read the drive again and it says it can't read it. It pops up a window that gives me an option to Retry, Ignore or Abort. If I choose Ignore, it copies the file or Folder, this happens every time it tries to copy a new file.

This is great, but I have to keep pressing Ignore for every Folder or File it tries to copy.

So my question is: Is there an option to have VOLKOV COMMANDER ignore all errors when copying, so I can copy every thing on the drive, but not have to click the Ignore every time?

Thanks

StopSpazzing

Re: VOLKOV COMMANDER Bad Sectors

#2 Post by StopSpazzing » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:37 pm

I couldn't find anything regarding ignoring errors.

I'm curious as you why you haven't tried Parted Magic? It would be as easy as copy paste after mounting the drives.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

davey1971

#3 Post by davey1971 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:52 am

Thanks for the reply,

I will try Parted Magic, however, I have tried several different utilities, and most of them can't get past the Bad Sectors. I am not an expert on hard drives, but I think the Bad Sector is near the start of the drive, where it tries to read the partition folder structure information. So most applications, can't get past this problem.

I was able to have success with Xcopy, but only if I use FreeDos. If I tried to use a Windows XP Dos boot disk, or Dos 7 boot disk, it couldn't read the drive at all.

Anyway, I will give Parted Magic a try.

Thanks

davey1971

#4 Post by davey1971 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:25 am

Hey StopSpazzing,

I just loaded up the Parted Magic, and noticed that it is a linux OS, I open My Documents, and noticed it listed the Hard Drives on the left panel, however, the drive that has bad sectors is not showing up. Is there some other tool you thought I should use?

Thanks