All CPU tests Lose USB Keyboard control

Report new bugs here, or look at known issues of current and previous releases of UBCD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Older

All CPU tests Lose USB Keyboard control

#1 Post by Older » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:11 am

With UBCD 5.2.1 only the CPU tests, including CPUstress Menu, Lose all keyboard input after selecting the test. The tests continue to run regardless of key entry, Ctrl-Alt-Del has no affect. My MS-7549 has PS2 inputs, so I plugged in an old PS2 keyboard and erything worked just fine.
UBCD 5.1.1 may have had this problem but none of the CPU tests would load, they all failed with "Unable to open RTC0".
UBCD 5.0.3 the USB keyboard worked just fine.

ady

Re: All CPU tests Lose USB Keyboard control

#2 Post by ady » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Please try using the latest TESTING version of PMagic for CPUStress (customizing UBCD). There were some bug reports regarding USB devices in some newer versions of the Linux kernel (3.7.x, 3.8.x).

Other possible tests would be:
_ Testing the USB keyboard functionality in other distros with older kernels;
_ "playing around" with USB settings in your BIOS (or UEFI).

In any case, please report back.

Explorer09

#3 Post by Explorer09 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:52 am

UBCD 5.1.1 version of the CPUstress suffers from this bug so you can't even boot from there.

By the way, I am trying to find out whether I need to put some kernel modules to the CPUstress image, and I need some help. If anyone can demonstrate that -- given the same linux kernel and the same USB keyboard -- the keyboard works in Parted Magic but not in CPUstress, then I'm sure the fault is mine.

EDIT: Bingo! The fault is mine. It's all due to missing modules.

Explorer09

#4 Post by Explorer09 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Hello Older, bob3248 and those who have a USB keyboard,
I have prepared a image for you to test if the bug still exists or not.
If you like debugging and don't mind formatting a USB stick, you can download this and test:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70170658/ubcd/c ... 2.2beta.7z
Size: 6,427,212 bytes
MD5: 16b80cae108c812a3e480a6b6b826162

1. Copy the extracted "bzImage" and "initrd.gz" to <ubcd>\ubcd\boot\cpustress\ directory.
2. Make the bootable UBCD usb from this.
3. When booting, select CPU -> CPUstress 2.1expl6, then press TAB to edit the boot options.
4. In the command line, replace "linux.c32 /pmagic/bzImage" with "linux.c32 /ubcd/boot/cpustress/bzImage" and then press Enter to boot.
5. Let me know if your keyboard works after that.

bob3248

#5 Post by bob3248 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:53 pm

I copied those 2 files into the specified folder on my ubcd usb drive and followed your instructions during boot. Unfortunately my usb keyboard still didn't work. However, it did properly detect that the computer has 4 cpus instead of the 1 that is detected by the unmodified ubcd 5.2.1.

Explorer09

#6 Post by Explorer09 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:28 pm

bob3248 wrote:I copied those 2 files into the specified folder on my ubcd usb drive and followed your instructions during boot. Unfortunately my usb keyboard still didn't work. However, it did properly detect that the computer has 4 cpus instead of the 1 that is detected by the unmodified ubcd 5.2.1.
Hi bob3248,
Could you please also check my last beta?
viewtopic.php?p=24698#p24698

This one contains a custom-built kernel and I've tested that it worked for me. The beta version on my last post does not have the necessary drivers to operate the keyboard.

ady

#7 Post by ady » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:34 am

@Explorer09,

As I mentioned before, also PMagic's kernel had some issues with USB devices, even after the current latest stable release (2013_02_28). That's why I suggested trying (for CPUStress) PMagic's kernel of the latest testing version(s). The sources are also found in the same place.

Explorer09

#8 Post by Explorer09 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:35 am

ady wrote:@Explorer09,

As I mentioned before, also PMagic's kernel had some issues with USB devices, even after the current latest stable release (2013_02_28). That's why I suggested trying (for CPUStress) PMagic's kernel of the latest testing version(s). The sources are also found in the same place.
@ady,
Can you give me a link to a forum post or web page of the USB problem you're talking about ?
I am not sure if your USB problem has something to do with my USB problem, here. My problem here is because of the missing drivers. PMagic kernel has made some important drivers (ehci-hcd, uhci-hcd, hid-generic, and others) into modules instead of built-in, so CPUstress cannot get those drivers unless I built them back in.

So this is what I've done with this custom kernel (in fixing the problem):
  • Make ehci-hcd, uhci-hcd, ohci-hcd built-in. (These are so important that Ubuntu, for example, has make them built-in, too.)
  • Allow module loading into kernel.
  • Include usbhid, hid-generic, hid-logitech, hid-microsoft and other kernel modules in CPUstress initrd, so it can support special keyboards.
Outside the kernel, the mdev program in initrd has been configured to 'modprobe' the drivers when needed. That's how I get this problem solved.

ady

#9 Post by ady » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:58 am

@Explorer09,

For example http://forums.partedmagic.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4626, "No USB Devices available/working". The entire topic is interesting, providing examples of user's mistakes, different reasons for USB devices (keyboard and mouse included), links involving interactions with other hardware, BIOS settings, BIOS updates, kernel bugs found in certain kernel versions, changes in PMagic...

There might be others. I just picked the latest I found.

HTH,
Ady.

Explorer09

#10 Post by Explorer09 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:09 am

ady wrote:@Explorer09,

For example http://forums.partedmagic.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4626, "No USB Devices available/working". The entire topic is interesting, providing examples of user's mistakes, different reasons for USB devices (keyboard and mouse included), links involving interactions with other hardware, BIOS settings, BIOS updates, kernel bugs found in certain kernel versions, changes in PMagic...

There might be others. I just picked the latest I found.
That problem is hard to test. I found another thread in the forum but it is not easy to test either.
After googling I saw a post on fedoraforums that suggest it's a hardware problem. So I have nothing to do.

ady

#11 Post by ady » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:32 pm

@Explorer09,

The links to those topics are older than the current PMagic. My previous comments regarding USB devices (including keyboard and mouse) having problems in PMagic, and changes made in PMagic, are for recent kernels (3.7+) and for recent PMagic versions (later than 2013_01_29).

Note, for example, that in the topic in PMagic's forum to which I linked before, there is a mention about not having USB problems when using "older" kernels (3.2.x, for example), while having issues with 3.7.x / 3.8.x kernels.

@all,
I seriously suggest trying CPUStress with the latest TESTING version of PMagic and reporting feedback here (feedback, including what changes have been tried, like BIOS settings, USB port...).

bob3248

#12 Post by bob3248 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:37 pm

Explorer09 wrote:
bob3248 wrote:I copied those 2 files into the specified folder on my ubcd usb drive and followed your instructions during boot. Unfortunately my usb keyboard still didn't work. However, it did properly detect that the computer has 4 cpus instead of the 1 that is detected by the unmodified ubcd 5.2.1.
Hi bob3248,
Could you please also check my last beta?
viewtopic.php?p=24698#p24698

This one contains a custom-built kernel and I've tested that it worked for me. The beta version on my last post does not have the necessary drivers to operate the keyboard.

I tried your latest beta and the usb keyboard works and so does the detection of the number of cpus. Thanks!